Cracked Sun Roof?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mp5pdw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven't seen any complaints about cracked or broken sunroofs on this forum with anyone off roading with their trucks. Has anyone had an experience they would like to share or does the general stiffen up the body enough to prevent this from happening. I'm ordering a 25 AT4 and slightly worried about having to order the package that come the sunroof just to get the options I do want to get and thought I would post this question.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a sun roof on my 2005 Z71 and wish I didn't. I do not off road with it though. You are going to buy a 2025 and off road with it? I would not think the roof would flex and cause a crack, unless you roll it of course.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting question. Have you heard of this happening on other rigs? Seems like opening the sunroof, weather permitting, would prevent this? My off-roading experience is in Baja which is more about sand and rough terrain than rock crawling or long hill climbing. But I’ve never heard of this happening. Though that may be due to folks having beefed up their suspicion and lowering tire pressure.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've off roaded my 2008 Denali all over the west on multiple back roads, washboard sections, etc and never once had an issue with the sunroof - never crossed my mind actually.

Being that the roof is a pivotal structure safety area, I don't see how you would develop enough flex to crack anything. Unless you are planning to bro-dozer it out and test maximum articulation everywhere you go, I think you'll be fine.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should not have an issue. Too many folks overland with these trucks, and if this was an issue, we all would have heard about it by now. I have heard about a couple of sun roofs grenading, but that issue was associated with defective glass tempering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuchie_goddess