Cylinder deactivation for the 2021-2023's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwp2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There’s a guy on the 21-up Tahoe Facebook page that claims the previous gen Range has disabled the DFM on his ‘23 Tahoe. I pressed for more info and confirmation and he went silent. I’m not buying one to experiment, and would have to imagine Range tried it or knows it won’t work, but if anyone has an RA003 laying around and wants to give it a try, please do!
I have a range RA003 from my old 2019 Tahoe 6.2 but do not want to try it on my new 2023 6.2 z71 Tahoe. If someone does, let me know and I’ll lend it to them.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a range RA003 from my old 2019 Tahoe 6.2 but do not want to try it on my new 2023 6.2 z71 Tahoe. If someone does, let me know and I’ll lend it to them.
Range already stated it doesn't work. They said GM changed the code and it's no longer open source for 21+

donaldus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Honestly, not sure why anyone wants to deactivate it…not clear to me it would improve lifter life. It’s completely transparent as a driver, I never even know if anything is deactivated or not. So, just drive the thing and enjoy.
On second engine 2022 6.2 Tahoe. Into shop again last week; catalytic converter replaced. Tech says MANY 6.2 10 speeds having lifter/valve/cylinder problems across chevy/gm/cadillac badges. Suspected to be due to stress from cylinder deactivation. My last GM. With mismatched engine/vin numbers, vehicle will be greatly devalued. Not only is this engine #2; Chevy bought back our last Tahoe due to Texas Lemon Law. Someone please make an OBD2 defeat for these clunkers!

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Range is just about there, I’m beta testing their device as we speak. It’s not quite as simple as the OBD plug in, it connects directly to the ECM right behind the driver side fender liner. I can say my 5.3 drives WAY smoother now, no more lugging.

14point5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Range is just about there, I’m beta testing their device as we speak. It’s not quite as simple as the OBD plug in, it connects directly to the ECM right behind the driver side fender liner. I can say my 5.3 drives WAY smoother now, no more lugging.
That's great news! I am using the "L9" method but that's too much for my wife and she puts the most miles on our Tahoe.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great news! I am using the "L9" method but that's too much for my wife and she puts the most miles on our Tahoe.
Yes, absolute game changer. I make no promises it’ll help from a reliability/longevity standpoint for the motor, but man does it drive better.

I didn’t like the transmission behavior in L9 so seldom used that trick. Felt sluggish to me.

BacDoc

Reaction score
I have a 22 Z71 with 6.2, and never hear anything or feel anything.
I’m the same with my 2024 6.2l. Pretty quiet, smooth and I don’t hear or feel anything going on with cruising at 50-55mph, 70-80mph or slowing down from 35 to below 14mph. I listen carefully with A/C off and on, driver window down etc.
I tried the 35mph slow down below 14mph on a smooth road in my quiet neighborhood and didn’t hear or feel anything. It is still early low miles and I did first oil change at 1000 miles and run 93 octane and that’s what I did with previous GM V8 trucks.

Since it’s a new truck I am proud of I often ask and get asked by friends to hear the 6.2l V8 with the quad tailpipes and the same response is usually “Whoa! that sounds awesome!” Or “man that V8 is sweet!” The sound of this truck is one of the best features and the rear end of these trucks with 4 exhaust pipes is absolutely beautiful!

The only thing I ever noticed is sometimes like my previous Vortec 6.0l starting after sitting for a while the rpm is a little higher for 20-30 seconds before settling in. The 6.0l was a little higher and a little longer before settling down but that motor was a good one too. I sold it at 85k to get my 2024. Nothing like a GM V8 from my experience and it’s getting tough to find a new truck from any of the other manufacturers as the trend is turbo 6 or hybrid 6 or 4 cylinder.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m the same with my 2024 6.2l. Pretty quiet, smooth and I don’t hear or feel anything going on with cruising at 50-55mph, 70-80mph or slowing down from 35 to below 14mph. I listen carefully with A/C off and on, driver window down etc.
I tried the 35mph slow down below 14mph on a smooth road in my quiet neighborhood and didn’t hear or feel anything. It is still early low miles and I did first oil change at 1000 miles and run 93 octane and that’s what I did with previous GM V8 trucks.

Since it’s a new truck I am proud of I often ask and get asked by friends to hear the 6.2l V8 with the quad tailpipes and the same response is usually “Whoa! that sounds awesome!” Or “man that V8 is sweet!” The sound of this truck is one of the best features and the rear end of these trucks with 4 exhaust pipes is absolutely beautiful!

The only thing I ever noticed is sometimes like my previous Vortec 6.0l starting after sitting for a while the rpm is a little higher for 20-30 seconds before settling in. The 6.0l was a little higher and a little longer before settling down but that motor was a good one too. I sold it at 85k to get my 2024. Nothing like a GM V8 from my experience and it’s getting tough to find a new truck from any of the other manufacturers as the trend is turbo 6 or hybrid 6 or 4 cylinder.
I hope that continues for you, mine didn’t start lugging until I got some miles on it and the DFM seemed to be programmed to get more aggressive after break in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdelasko