Deal or no deal? BP Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tvone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I need to replace my work SUV, and came across a '05 Tahoe from the Border Patrol.

The bad:

No seal around the hatch glass
No left turn signal
Loose tornsion bar on left side
Tires need to be replaced (Current tires are BFG 285/75/16)
Leather or vinyl back seat, cloth buckets up front
Driver's seat has hole from wear (handgun holsters will do that)
Front end grill just doesn't look right. Headlights are at odd angles
No dual battery setup
Rear doors cannot be opened from the inside
No jack. May need a high lift jack
Front skid plate removed
Extra wires

Good:
Body
Engine
Transmission (4x4 works)
Low miles
No carpet
Tow package
Front and rear A/C that works well. (It's hot down here in TX)
Size ( I carry a bunch of gear sometimes)
Plain looks...don't want to attract attention

there's also a blue nylon strap as part of the front suspension I haven't seen on other vehicles. Looks like it limits the travel of the front wheels.

Price is $11K
Miles:< 34K

Thoughts?

ghostworks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you want a new project to work on it seems like a good place to start :hands:

You're looking at a small fortune in parts if you want to fix her up though.

I would look into why the headlights are out of alignment, does it mean its run into something and you'll end up having to replace the entire front to fix it?

Seats are also a expensive thing to replace covers on, at least if you want leather.

If it was me I would have looked for a more complete car, the fun is in modding it, not repairing it :p

That's my 2 cents :)

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't know much about nbs Tahoes ... but I do know that those border patrol guys beat the heck out of those trucks on account of what the job is and that they're not theirs. So 33k on a bp truck is going to wear much more than a dd.

I dunno. :think:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was me I'd pass :shrug:

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
idk man like they said they beat the living crap out of those trucks. Just try to get a state trooper suv lol much better : )

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trust me. NONE of us that drive law enforcement vehicles every day would EVER buy a used one. You have no idea what they are put through. There have been some really weird incidnets where even I sit back and think "damn...how the fk did I do that".... or "how in the hell did that car actually do that and not fall apart".

its not unusual at all, even for city cops or small town cops, to be in a police car with a foot or two or more of air space between the tires and pavement. I've had some that seemed like FOREVER before it landed again. and thats not border patrol. I cant imagine what that truck is put through (thus the reason for the suspension strap). and ive worked for two departmetns now and been involved with a couple of more and have not seen a single police car or law enforcement vehicle that hasnt been wrecked a few times. hell, my 08 charger with 66k on it just came back from the body shop for its 6th accident repair. (none with me driving btw, only my co workers).

all that to say, theres a reason the front end looks jacked up- it is.

theres a reason they are dumping it at 33k miles. They know something you dont know. Governmetn entities dont dump things for the hell of it u know. Its not cost effective for the government to keep it in service, how the hell is it going to be cost effective for someone with half a brain to keep it on the road?

RUN RUN RUN.

PS. theres no tellin what kinda gonnasyphaherpelaids is in that interior.... my car gets pissed in and puked in at least 4 times a month...sometimes every night... (of course my specialty is traffic and DWI enforcement but still). and in case u've ever seen or smelled a sweaty illegal that has been running from the po po before, u dont want ANYTHING he/she has sat in or on EVER.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trust me. NONE of us that drive law enforcement vehicles every day would EVER buy a used one. You have no idea what they are put through. There have been some really weird incidnets where even I sit back and think "damn...how the fk did I do that".... or "how in the hell did that car actually do that and not fall apart".

its not unusual at all, even for city cops or small town cops, to be in a police car with a foot or two or more of air space between the tires and pavement. I've had some that seemed like FOREVER before it landed again. and thats not border patrol. I cant imagine what that truck is put through (thus the reason for the suspension strap). and ive worked for two departmetns now and been involved with a couple of more and have not seen a single police car or law enforcement vehicle that hasnt been wrecked a few times. hell, my 08 charger with 66k on it just came back from the body shop for its 6th accident repair. (none with me driving btw, only my co workers).

all that to say, theres a reason the front end looks jacked up- it is.

theres a reason they are dumping it at 33k miles. They know something you dont know. Governmetn entities dont dump things for the hell of it u know. Its not cost effective for the government to keep it in service, how the hell is it going to be cost effective for someone with half a brain to keep it on the road?

RUN RUN RUN.

PS. theres no tellin what kinda gonnasyphaherpelaids is in that interior.... my car gets pissed in and puked in at least 4 times a month...sometimes every night... (of course my specialty is traffic and DWI enforcement but still). and in case u've ever seen or smelled a sweaty illegal that has been running from the po po before, u dont want ANYTHING he/she has sat in or on EVER.

I concur. :Handshake:

Huck

Whut Thee Huck?!
Reaction score
$11K?!?! WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much.

I dirve GOVs all the time. We have some Ford Rangers here with like 8,000 miles on them. Worst looking trucks on earth. They look like they've been driven through hell. Think about how you drive a rental car. Now imagine that you dirve that rental car off road. EVERY DAY. Now imagine that this car is driven all day long. By a bunch of different drivers. Run away from it.

Only way I'd buy a law enforcement car is if it was a SGTs car or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryonE