DEF level sensor issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a TSB for DEF level errors on GM trucks and SUVs. I think the TSB is 22-NA-150 (it's been updated to add new model years several times). It's a software update.
The level sensors in the DEF tank work the same way water & waste tank levels are in an RV (not very accurate). You can't have a float since the DEF is allowed to freeze in the tank.
Thanks any thoughts on why the low DEF warning is only showing in the app and not the truck itself? Current DEF gauge has all but 1 bar currently in the def level screen.

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
Thanks any thoughts on why the low DEF warning is only showing in the app and not the truck itself? Current DEF gauge has all but 1 bar currently in the def level screen.
Nope, but our Tahoe oil life in the app sometimes doesn't match what the dash show (usually when below 40%). For me the app only tells you if the DEF level is good or not. If you aren't seeing any issues with the vehicle itself I would ignore the app.

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
FYI. If you have a Banks iDash or Edge CTS3 you can monitor DEF level and you can see the level bounce around when stopping or starting but remains pretty steady when vehicle is steady state on level ground (unlike the factory dash gauge which doesn't move much).

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, but our Tahoe oil life in the app sometimes doesn't match what the dash show (usually when below 40%). For me the app only tells you if the DEF level is good or not. If you aren't seeing any issues with the vehicle itself I would ignore the app.
Haha I like that approach!

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI. If you have a Banks iDash or Edge CTS3 you can monitor DEF level and you can see the level bounce around when stopping or starting but remains pretty steady when vehicle is steady state on level ground (unlike the factory dash gauge which doesn't move much).
Yeah, I think it was when I dropped my son off at camp this morning. It’s a very steep exit from the parking lots and that’s when I randomly had the distance to DEF empty (I’ve never seen this before…. Would be nice to have it all the time) and I could dismiss the message. I left the message up and it steadily increased as I drove and then after a minute or so it stopped at approx 2,000km/1,250mi to empty DEF. Then I dismissed it and it hasn’t been back since. But it was at that time I got the message on the app of DEF Range Low and it hasn’t gone away yet.

I’ll keep an eye on it thank you!