Diagnostic tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali60

Reaction score
Hi what is a good diagnostic tool to buy for our trucks that match with GM tech 2 with technology

Thanks

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi what is a good diagnostic tool to buy for our trucks that match with GM tech 2 with technology

Thanks

Nothing that I've seen other than a Tech II will match what you're looking for, which is a Tech II

Do you perform a lot of work on your vehicles? I do and I bought a Tech II used for about $2K a few years ago. I've used it probably 50 times working on a dozen cars over the years, it's definitely paid for itself in repairs that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to do like a CPS relearn, air bag sensor failure isolation, theft-lock reset, ABS pump purge, etc. At $100 a trip to the dealer just for the diagnostic it's a worthwhile investment if you do a lot of repairs.

Just one thing to keep in mind if you go the Tech II route, don't buy a cheap one from China off of eBay, they're all counterfeits and a lot of them seem to fail early in life with no repair avenues for the knock-offs. If you see brand new units for $1000 or less with software and all the accessories it's pretty much guaranteed to be a counterfeit model. Search on the web on how to spot a fake for an education.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Almost all tool truck branded diag tools are the same, at each of their respected levels. You could spend $1500 on one and get some features, and $7000 and get a whole lot more, that you wont have any use for. What are you wanting it for? Diagnostic, or programming? You aren't going to program any module with a branded tool, only the Tech 2 with a GM subscription. As far as diagnostic readings, you'd be amazed what a decent $300 tool from MAC or MATCO could pull.

OP
OP
D

Denali60

Reaction score
I'm looking for tool just for reading that covers the the whole system on this truck

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive used the expensive snap on scan tools at UTI and i bought a BAFX bluetooth ELM327
device and use it with my samsung galaxy s5 and it does everything that 1500 dollar snap on scan tool does

jfoj

Reaction score
Start with a smart phone OBDII App and interface, they are under $30.

Android platform look at Torque Pro or TouchScan for Android and get an ELM327 Bluetooth interface from Amazon.

iProduct platform loot at OBDFUsion and get an ELM327 WiFi interface from Amazon.

Windows phone platform look at OBD AutoDoctor and and get an ELM327 Bluetooth interface from Amazon.

For ABS and SRS support, look at the Launch CRP123 or CRP129.

You do not usually need much else, however, I do also a SnapOn Solus Ultra and it does support a lot of bi-directional support for these trucks, but again, rarely is this level of support needed.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with a smart phone OBDII App and interface, they are under $30.

Android platform look at Torque Pro or TouchScan for Android and get an ELM327 Bluetooth interface from Amazon.

iProduct platform loot at OBDFUsion and get an ELM327 WiFi interface from Amazon.

Windows phone platform look at OBD AutoDoctor and and get an ELM327 Bluetooth interface from Amazon.

For ABS and SRS support, look at the Launch CRP123 or CRP129.

You do not usually need much else, however, I do also a SnapOn Solus Ultra and it does support a lot of bi-directional support for these trucks, but again, rarely is this level of support needed.

Thanks for this post - I have iphone and Windows laptop.

sbubbaklein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tech2 is no longer used by GM. It has been replaced with a lap top, software and interface module. The change occurred about 2010, any new car platforms require the new technology. Make sure the tool you buy is compatible with your year model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBRKPRO