Differential Fluid Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the info. The Mobile 1 LS is plentiful and cheap. $7.99 so I'll use that. Still need to know what you guys use to seal the diff cover up with? Is there a gasket or just use some RTV?

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't that tear off when the cover is removed?

Not if its reusable rubber covered stamped steel. I known for a fact 2009 + are. Don't know about the older ones. My 1996 had no basket. Only rtv

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a combination of a gasket and a very thin layer of ultra black rtv to both sides, works really well.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cork gaskeys suck they leak

BEST ones are steel rubber ones.

RTV is super tricky. Mating surfaces must be absolutely clean or otherwise it WILL leak.

Use brake cleaner if using only rtv.

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use Mobil 1 75w-90 syn or Royal Purple. No need to add friction mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Okay, thanks for the info. The Mobile 1 LS is plentiful and cheap. $7.99 so I'll use that. Still need to know what you guys use to seal the diff cover up with? Is there a gasket or just use some RTV?

There is a gasket. If urs doesn't have both drain/fill valves, u can suck old fluid out of fill valve and refill with hand pump. This way I don't have to take cover off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Capitan

Senior Texas Member
Reaction score
You can do either or Gasket or RTV the last time I pulled my cover to do axle seals I used RTV with no problems or leaks. I used a Gasket when I replaced my carrier with no problems or leaks but like scottg918514 said you have a FILL and A DRAIN valve on the differential that can be removed using a 3/8in ratchet and a Short 3/8in Extension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968