Dirty Rear End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't look like that truck ever saw any snow/salt areas. In my neck of the woods, back in the day of those models, the quarter panels rusted out in a very short number of years.

Probably an old picture I am sure. I had several of those Burbs. They actually start rusting from the inside out. The rear inner wheel wells are spot welded directly to the inner body panel right down the middle of the well. The seam is right over the center of the tires. It get's beat up and rusts open long before the quarters do. Then the tire starts slinging shit into the inside of the entire rear quarter panel cavity. I've had rocker panels I have cut open filled with 3" of dirt and silt. That clogs up any drain holes. Then of course the road salts and water get in there and sit and start eating it away. Damned shame. By the time you see the rust on the outside it is usually too late. And it's a damned shame GM never did anything about the design. A plastic well liner would have made a huge difference. I remember back in the day JC Whitney used to sell aftermarket plastic liners for those trucks just for that reason.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a rear deflector like that on our mid 70s Ford Country Squire station wagon when I was a kid

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And the 89’s S-10’s had them too and I think my ‘86 Malibu wagon possibly had one too I can’t remember

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3