Dobinsons Suspension Upgrade 07 Tahoe 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tahjoe

tahjoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks @Project Workshop. What do you run in the front? And how much lift did you get out of the rear dobinson’s, was it a true 2”?

I ordered the following parts earlier today:

Front:
Bilstein 5100s (Tahoe-specific): 24-86940
Dobinson 2” Coils: C09-044

Rear:
- Bilstein 5100s (Silverado): 24-285896
- Dobinson 2” Coils:C09-45

Excited about the Dobinson’s, but a little nervous about how the rear’s will pair with the truck shocks. Hoping to install everything this weekend so I’ll report back after trying out the new setup.

OP
OP
tahjoe

tahjoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Trey Hardy

Well I think I’m sold on the uca haha will add those to the list. And will definitely be replacing the stock alignment cam plates - thanks for the tip. My Tahoe is currently on jacks so that shouldn’t be an issue. Also waiting on some overpriced seal to install the new steering rack so may as well knock it all out at once.

I heeded your advice and stayed away from the 6112s. Went with the 5100s instead - figured it wasn’t worth the extra $$ after hearing how they rode.

And yeah pretty wary of lift kits haha. New to this whole thing and just assumed a heavy spring was preferred when you could get away with it. Good to know those are a viable option tho.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks @Project Workshop. What do you run in the front? And how much lift did you get out of the rear dobinson’s, was it a true 2”?

I ordered the following parts earlier today:

Front:
Bilstein 5100s (Tahoe-specific): 24-86940
Dobinson 2” Coils: C09-044

Rear:
- Bilstein 5100s (Silverado): 24-285896
- Dobinson 2” Coils:C09-45

Excited about the Dobinson’s, but a little nervous about how the rear’s will pair with the truck shocks. Hoping to install everything this weekend so I’ll report back after trying out the new setup.
May still have a lil be of a nose down rake with the 2” rear springs you may want to still throw a 1”-1.5” leveling kit under the strut to “level” it out that won’t be a issue since your getting the uniball control arms

OP
OP
tahjoe

tahjoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
May still have a lil be of a nose down rake with the 2” rear springs you may want to still throw a 1”-1.5” leveling kit under the strut to “level” it out that won’t be a issue since your getting the uniball control arms
I'll keep that in mind. Alignment cams should arrive tomorrow so I'll throw those on after getting an alignment.

Dumb q, but after doing more research I'm not sure I understand how the front lift is achieved with this setup. Do the "2in lift coils" provide a "lift" simply because they have a higher spring rate / eliminate the sag of stock coils? Or are lift coils longer than stock? Based on the need for longer rear shocks, I assume the coil itself will be longer than stock..

If the lift is (at least partially) achieved by increasing the coil length, does that mean my front 5100s will be "extended" at normal ride height? If so, that suggests installing longer springs would reduce the amount of available upward travel on the front struts. I don't plan on doing anything too extreme with this tahoe, but is there a risk the 5100s over-extend and fail?

Also, since I do not plan on using a spacer under the front struts / rear shocks, can I keep the stock bump stops?

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind. Alignment cams should arrive tomorrow so I'll throw those on after getting an alignment.

Dumb q, but after doing more research I'm not sure I understand how the front lift is achieved with this setup. Do the "2in lift coils" provide a "lift" simply because they have a higher spring rate / eliminate the sag of stock coils? Or are lift coils longer than stock? Based on the need for longer rear shocks, I assume the coil itself will be longer than stock..

If the lift is (at least partially) achieved by increasing the coil length, does that mean my front 5100s will be "extended" at normal ride height? If so, that suggests installing longer springs would reduce the amount of available upward travel on the front struts. I don't plan on doing anything too extreme with this tahoe, but is there a risk the 5100s over-extend and fail?

Also, since I do not plan on using a spacer under the front struts / rear shocks, can I keep the stock bump stops?

Thanks again for all your help!
For the rear yea just a higher spring rate for the front putting the lift springs onto the new bilsteins I couldn’t tell ya but I’ll tell you it won’t hurt them that bad if its only a inch or two of lift I wouldn’t worry about damaging the new shock and I’ve never changed bump stops ever I wouldn’t worry about that either unless it becomes a issue/wears off

OP
OP
tahjoe

tahjoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: 4x4 mechanic, Dobinson corporate, and my local mechanic all said Dobinson front coils [C09-044] were way too long for Bilstein 5100’s [24-186940]. Returning all 4 Bilsteins and ordering Dobinson shocks.

Also, fyi - for anyone trying to re-use their strut hardware when doing a Bilstein swap, make sure your stock struts don’t run a welded spring plate…

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Update: 4x4 mechanic, Dobinson corporate, and my local mechanic all said Dobinson front coils [C09-044] were way too long for Bilstein 5100’s [24-186940]. Returning all 4 Bilsteins and ordering Dobinson shocks.

Also, fyi - for anyone trying to re-use their strut hardware when doing a Bilstein swap, make sure your stock struts don’t run a welded spring plate…
This is why I like the loaded struts better you just slap em on in 30 min you’re ready to ride! Its more expensive but evens out in the long run if your having to run back and fourth to a shop to do the work

Sorry your having a hard time man hopefully you’ll get it straight

OP
OP
tahjoe

tahjoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is why I like the loaded struts better you just slap em on in 30 min you’re ready to ride! Its more expensive but evens out in the long run if your having to run back and fourth to a shop to do the work

Sorry your having a hard time man hopefully you’ll get it straight
All good brother, got the rear springs and extended stabilizer bar links installed today so we’re making progress. Forgot to measure before installing, but the rear sits at 40.5” now and is noticeably higher. Close to 3” of lift I think. Old rear springs were in pretty bad shape.

Will post a cost analysis after the install, but the cost savings definitely weren’t as much as expected. Coilovers may be the move next time around.

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
All good brother, got the rear springs and extended stabilizer bar links installed today so we’re making progress. Forgot to measure before installing, but the rear sits at 40.5” now and is noticeably higher. Close to 3” of lift I think. Old rear springs were in pretty bad shape.

Will post a cost analysis after the install, but the cost savings definitely weren’t as much as expected. Coilovers may be the move next time around.
That’s what I was saying if your not doing the work yourself after you pay for a swap to swap over your new struts with the old springs and hardware or simply assembly them and install them your already at the price of a set of coil overs just about… plus again it’s pretty easy to swap in I got my coil overs on in about 30-45 min and rear shocks maybe 20 min? It don’t take long at all

OP
OP
tahjoe

tahjoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Front Suspension Components:
- Dobinsons 2" Front Lifted Coils = $487.14
- Dobinsons Gas Strut [GS09-170] = 481.22
- Freedom Off Road Upper Control Arms for 2-4" Lift [FO-G703FU] = $360.00
- Monroe Shocks & Struts Strut Mount [905910] = $78.24
- Autotacc Front Bump Stops [] = $31.26
- GM Shock / Strut Bellow [25940741] = $25.81
- GM Spring Insulator [15808594] = 39.32
- Front Subtotal = 1,502.99

Rear Suspension Components:
- Dobinsons 2" Rear Lifted Coils [C09-045] = $481.72
- Dobinsons Gas Shock Absorbers [GS09-171] = $401.02
- Rancho (Extended) Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link [RS6753B] = $76.97
- Rear Upper Coil Spring Insulators [15251980] = $35.00
- Rear Lower Coil Spring Insulators [ ? ] = $35.00
- Rear Subtotal = $1,029.71

Labor Costs:
- Strut Assembly = $100.00
- 4x4 Alignment = $185.00
- Labor Subtotal = $285.00

Misc. Components:
- Upper Arm Alignment Cams [DK-632919] = $66.05
- Rear Upper Suspension Control Arm Outer Bolt [11548683] = $15.46
- Misc. Subtotal = 81.51

Lift Specs:
- Front: 35.5" --> 38.3"
- Rear: [forgot to measure, but probably 37.?"] --> 40.0"

----------

All together, this suspension upgrade cost just over $2900. Pretty damn expensive. I do feel like I got a lot for the $$ though. The front suspension components totaled $1600 and gave just under 3" of lift. The Fox 2.5s cost almost 1k more (cheapest I found was $2700) for about the same height gains. By going with Dobinsons over the Fox 2.5s, you free up a good chunk of cash to spend on the rears / misc. components. That said, procuring all the hardware for the strut assembly took some time, so you do earn whatever you save. (Pro Tip: Dealership sells OEM spring insulators for around $16/ea)

Will post an update on ride quality / pics once I've had a chance to take the 07 off road, but a few extra things below:

Misc. Notes:
- I placed three separate orders to Dobinsons due to the initial mix-up re: the Bilstein 5100s. Doing so added about $100 in unnecessary shipping fees.
- I could have saved around $200 by reusing my old front strut hardware. My brother's 09 tahoe was in need of some new struts though, so I decided to donate the old ones.
- Installing the extended front strut assembly was a pain in the ass and took way longer than expected. What I thought was going to be a 45m job turned into a 4hr ordeal because I could not get the strut seated without disconnecting the uca. I'd recommend installing the front struts / swapping ucas at the same time.
- Stabilitrak / T/C / ABS came on after installing the fronts, so I will be replacing wheel sensors soon. Will update when the issue gets resolved, but if anyone has any suggestions please lmk. EDIT: After changing the front ABS wheel sensors, the issue persisted. When I went to change the left rear, I realized that the sensor had come unplugged from the chassis harness during my install. Plugging that sensor back in resolved the issue.

Future Plans:
- Tyger Star Armor Rock Sliders
- Morimoto X8 LED Fog Lights
- New stabilizer bar
- Ranch Hand grille guard

Thanks to everyone on here (especially @Trey Hardy ) for all y'all's help. Had a blast learning how to do all this stuff and am stoked with the 07's new look.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24