Dobinsons Suspension Upgrade 07 Tahoe 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Front Suspension Components:
- Dobinsons 2" Front Lifted Coils = $487.14
- Dobinsons Gas Strut [GS09-170] = 481.22
- Freedom Off Road Upper Control Arms for 2-4" Lift [FO-G703FU] = $360.00
- Monroe Shocks & Struts Strut Mount [905910] = $78.24
- Autotacc Front Bump Stops [] = $31.26
- GM Shock / Strut Bellow [25940741] = $25.81
- GM Spring Insulator [15808594] = 39.32
- Front Subtotal = 1,502.99

Rear Suspension Components:
- Dobinsons 2" Rear Lifted Coils [C09-045] = $481.72
- Dobinsons Gas Shock Absorbers [GS09-171] = $401.02
- Rancho (Extended) Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link [RS6753B] = $76.97
- Rear Subtotal = $959.71

Labor Costs:
- Strut Assembly = $100.00
- 4x4 Alignment = $185.00
- Labor Subtotal = $285.00

Misc. Components:
- Upper Arm Alignment Cams [DK-632919] = $66.05
- Rear Upper Suspension Control Arm Outer Bolt [11548683] = $15.46
- Misc. Subtotal = 81.51

Lift Specs:
- Front: 35.5" --> 38.3"
- Rear: [forgot to measure, but probably 37.?"] --> 40.0"

----------

All together, this suspension upgrade cost $2,830.21. Pretty damn expensive. I do feel like I got a lot for the $$ though. The front suspension components totaled $1600 and gave just under 3" of lift. The Fox 2.5s cost almost 1k more (cheapest I found was $2700) for about the same height gains. By going with Dobinsons over the Fox 2.5s, you free up a good chunk of cash to spend on the rears / misc. components. That said, procuring all the hardware for the strut assembly took some time, so you do earn whatever you save.

Will post an update on ride quality / pics once I've had a chance to take the 07 off road, but a few extra things below:

Misc. Notes:
- I placed three separate orders to Dobinsons due to the initial mix-up re: the Bilstein 5100s. Doing so added about $100 in unnecessary shipping fees.
- I could have saved around $200 by reusing my old front strut hardware. My brother's 09 tahoe was in need of some new struts though, so I decided to donate the old ones.
- Installing the extended front strut assembly was a pain in the ass and took way longer than expected. What I thought was going to be a 45m job turned into a 4hr ordeal because I could not get the strut seated without disconnecting the uca. I'd recommend installing the front struts / swapping ucas at the same time.
- Stabilitrak / T/C / ABS came on after installing the fronts, so I will be replacing wheel sensors soon. Will update when the issue gets resolved, but if anyone has any suggestions please lmk.

Future Plans:
- Tyger Star Armor Rock Sliders
- Morimoto X8 LED Fog Lights
- New stabilizer bar
- Ranch Hand grille guard

Thanks to everyone on here (especially @Trey Hardy ) for all y'all's help. Had a blast learning how to do all this stuff and am stoked with the 07's new look.
Yessir no problem buddy I’m glad you finally got it together keep us posted on the ride quality and all

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@tahjoe Looks good man, that's a lot of lift in the rear I bet your rear axle is off center. You'll need a panhard bracket or adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear wheels

OP
OP
tahjoe

tahjoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@tahjoe Looks good man, that's a lot of lift in the rear I bet your rear axle is off center. You'll need a panhard bracket or adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear wheels
Appreciate the advice! Replacing the fog lights, side mirrors, and missing door molding today but I’ll look into one of the Spohn adjustable panhard bars next.

Do you think the front axle is fine as is or would that be off center as well?

OP
OP
tahjoe

tahjoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Went with these cheap Tecoom LED fog lights (UPC 743407105694) over the Morimoto X8s because they had some good reviews and were 1/3 the price. Recommend replacing the harnesses (GM 15789984) while you’re at it.
image.jpg

OP
OP
tahjoe

tahjoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMG_2607.jpegRide Update: The Dobinsons are firmer than stock, but not excessively so. All the Toyota forums say Dobinsons is softer than Fox, so that checks out.

The car feels much sturdier when going over big stuff and seems to recover faster after hitting potholes / speed bumps. I feel like I can drive much faster than before over rough roads because the cab stays pretty even.

I’ve also driven 75mph with no shudder / death wobble, and I haven’t noticed a huge difference in body roll when turning at speed (not sure if the extended stabilizer bar links help with that).

After a few days on the Dobinsons, I think they’d be a great option for anyone that regularly travels on unpaved roads or lives in a poorly run city. If you’re planning to use them primarily for a city driver though, I would probably recommend a cheaper lift option.

Note: I have been getting a whistling sound from the front driver’s side when going at speed. After inspecting the aftermarket fog lights, there is a decent gap around the light housing that could be the culprit. Going to try taping around that. Also going to reinstall the air dam. Will update once resolved. EDIT: The whistling noise was coming from a gap in the TRQ mirrors I recently installed. Plugging the hole with adhesive will have to do until I can get a replacement.IMG_2643.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24