Does GM accessory camera require option ZM1 (Enhanced Trailering Technology Package)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jgraves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cable eventually joins the OE trailer harness and is zip-tied to it before exiting beside the 7-pin trailer connector.
IMG_4723.jpeg

IMG_4724.jpeg

I will install 1/4" split loom over the full length of cable under the truck, I just used what I had left-over from the camera install on the trailer today.
IMG_4725.jpeg
IMG_4726.jpeg
IMG_4727.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jgraves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plug I drilled is located approximately here under the storage compartment. There is plenty of space for the cable due to the feet on the bottom of the storage tray.
IMG_4729.jpeg

The storage tray is easy to remove. Unscrew these 2 thumb nuts (1 on each side) and lift the entire tray and lid out in as one unit.
IMG_4730.jpeg

IMG_4731.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jgraves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally, here is the trailer connected to the truck. The trailer cables are tied to the 7-pin harness so the video cables and connection are supported by the much more substantial 7-pin harness.
IMG_4732.jpeg

The second Fakra connector is for an interior trailer camera. It is only pre-wired at the moment and won't be useful until I install a remote video switch.
IMG_4733.jpeg

This is a close-up of the garage door my trailer is parked in front of. It is only 6" from the camera so I'm impressed the camera is able to focus on the texture.
IMG_4734.jpeg

I'm quite pleased with how this install has gone so far. I'm towing 1500km (900+ miles) later this week and am looking forward to a clear view of what's behind me, rather than the marginally adequate view if I positioned my head just right through the outside mirrors last time I towed.

For reference, I'm towing a 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer. The OE outside mirrors provide a clear view of the adjacent lane and a marginal view of the lane your in. A 7.5' trailer would block any view of your lane and a 6.5' trailer would likely allow a pretty good view with OE mirrors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jgraves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update, I've towed 3100 - 3200km (approximately 2000 miles) in the past 5 weeks and overall am really pleased with this camera installation. The camera mirror functioned flawlessly during this period and was quite natural to look in the interior mirror to see traffic behind me. If the front corner of a car I passed was visible in the mirror, I was safely past it. While it was helpful for backing, a taller field of view would be better. The only 2 short comings I noted were I angled the camera a few degrees too low as I couldn't see to the horizon most of the time (typically I could only see 1/2 km), and the camera got dirty after towing through intermittent rain (still usable but a bit blurry).

Considering the factory trailer camera option was not available to me, I'm very happy with the outcome. I like the placement of the display and integrating the smaller camera into the trailer. I do not get any of the integration into the vehicle systems that the factory option has and I won't suggest this is an overall better or less expensive alternative to the factory option, but it is a viable alternative if you don't have the factory option and likely better quality components than aftermarket options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap