Dragging brakes 2004 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Run4st

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. Been lurking for a while …not posted much. First let me say I have searched forum before asking. Did find a few ideas.

I got a 2004 Yukon SLT. 149k on odometer. It sat for close to 2 years before I purchased it.

Problem is brakes sticking/dragging.
Back brakes were worse.

Flushed old brake fluid (very dirty).
Replaced rear calipers and rubber lines that goes from caliper to hard lines on both sides in rear.
Replaced front calipers.
Pads and rotors were fine in front and back. Hard line in back look very good (think they were replaced---no surface rust on them). Petal seems soft after bleeding them… couple days later went to drive it and pedal went to floor. Found no leaks on ground at all. Replaced brake master cylinder.
Bleed them again. I got a better pedal than before but still something doesn’t seem right. To come to a complete stop pedal maybe has 4 inches or so from floor.

When pedal released it comes back up it doesn’t pop back up very fast. Seems slow to me. I did not smell brakes burning. Went to another place and could smell the front driver burning smell. Yes it is most def the brakes. Drove it home and no burning smell (brake dragging). Still feels odd (kinda soft) and slow return of the pedal when braking.

Brakes were fully bleed each time I worked on it. No ABS lights ever. No error lights. Still have not done front rubber lines or messed with ABS block.

Back brakes don’t seem to be sticking/dragging like before. Those of you driving this gen Yukon/Tahoe are your brakes soft with a slow pedal return?

Any ideas/personal experience is helpful.

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id change the front hoses, and if theres one in back to the rear end center.

if the master has ran dry good chance you pushed air into the abs pump, then you'll need a tech 2 scanner or snap on ect to bleed the brakes so the abs gets cleared out.

justirv

Reaction score
Hello all. Been lurking for a while …not posted much. First let me say I have searched forum before asking. Did find a few ideas.

I got a 2004 Yukon SLT. 149k on odometer. It sat for close to 2 years before I purchased it.

Problem is brakes sticking/dragging.
Back brakes were worse.

Flushed old brake fluid (very dirty).
Replaced rear calipers and rubber lines that goes from caliper to hard lines on both sides in rear.
Replaced front calipers.
Pads and rotors were fine in front and back. Hard line in back look very good (think they were replaced---no surface rust on them). Petal seems soft after bleeding them… couple days later went to drive it and pedal went to floor. Found no leaks on ground at all. Replaced brake master cylinder.
Bleed them again. I got a better pedal than before but still something doesn’t seem right. To come to a complete stop pedal maybe has 4 inches or so from floor.

When pedal released it comes back up it doesn’t pop back up very fast. Seems slow to me. I did not smell brakes burning. Went to another place and could smell the front driver burning smell. Yes it is most def the brakes. Drove it home and no burning smell (brake dragging). Still feels odd (kinda soft) and slow return of the pedal when braking.

Brakes were fully bleed each time I worked on it. No ABS lights ever. No error lights. Still have not done front rubber lines or messed with ABS block.

Back brakes don’t seem to be sticking/dragging like before. Those of you driving this gen Yukon/Tahoe are your brakes soft with a slow pedal return?

Any ideas/personal experience is helpful.
As @Scottydoggs mentioned, the master cylinder/ABS bleed with a Tech2 made a huge difference for me. @Fless asked whether hydroboost or vacuum, which gives two variants on activation issues and possibilities. If your rears were still dragging, I have seen the parking brake dragging inside the rear rotor hat.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it for a spin and hit each rotor with a IR gun and see which one(s) are running the hottest. There's your sticking calipers. And Id bet that you have air in your ABS manifold if youve never ran a bidirectional scanner to bleed the system. There usually is just no way around it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dave-mc

Latest posts