Driveshaft or oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dargisa17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2002 Tahoe 4x4 5.3L. I'm pretty sure I have a slow oil leak, but I'm also thinking it may be the driveshaft... Here is a short (20 second) video. Thanks for the feedback guys.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towards the end of that video i noticed a drip come off the oil filter. When changing the filter make sure the old filter oring isnt still up on the engine any always wipe off the mating surface.

Tibo77

Reaction score
That seems to be dripping from several points from what I see. If you just drove it prior to the video, possibly the filter was dripping bad enough for air flow to blow it around under there causing multiple drips? I just put on a K&N filter, hand tight of course as prescribed. Three days later noticed a puddle as I pulled out. I immediately put it up on ramps and it was loose way more than I ever wanted it to be. I screwed it back up to the seal point, then gave it the prescribed 1/4 to 1/2 turn, then an additional slight umph with a filter wrench just to be safe. I haven't used safety wire since I sold my sprint car but I'm back using that.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thier hand tighten is a bad concept by them. Not suggesting anyone is a **** but not everyone has the same level of what they consider hand tight. I usually have my vehicles up high enough so i can easily get 2 hands on the filter and get a pretty good umph into them.

OP
OP
dargisa17

dargisa17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was told was is leaking is the rear main oil seal.

OP
OP
dargisa17

dargisa17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That seems to be dripping from several points from what I see. If you just drove it prior to the video, possibly the filter was dripping bad enough for air flow to blow it around under there causing multiple drips? I just put on a K&N filter, hand tight of course as prescribed. Three days later noticed a puddle as I pulled out. I immediately put it up on ramps and it was loose way more than I ever wanted it to be. I screwed it back up to the seal point, then gave it the prescribed 1/4 to 1/2 turn, then an additional slight umph with a filter wrench just to be safe. I haven't used safety wire since I sold my sprint car but I'm back using that.

Tibo77

Reaction score
I've seen some threads on other sites dealing with rear main seals. I just was pretty sure I saw three or four spots dripping like it had blown around under there when driving or something. Hope you get it nailed down.

OP
OP
dargisa17

dargisa17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've seen some threads on other sites dealing with rear main seals. I just was pretty sure I saw three or four spots dripping like it had blown around under there when driving or something. Hope you get it nailed down.

Thanks, I posted a few pictures & a question on a thread relating to rear seal replacement/ leak. I would need a mechanic and want to be fully informed, so I don't get taken. You know what I mean? IMG_0491.jpg

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
It looks to be coming from everywhere. I'd clean it all off and then let it run again. You can pop that small cover on the trans and look to see if you see oil in there. Because it's coming from above too I'd look higher up. Possibly coming from the top of the engine like valve cover or something else and running down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LACajun