Dual battery set up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. been searching a lot about the dual battery set up. I’ve decided I want to do this. I have a 96 2dr tahoe, so I already have the side mount for the driver side battery tray, just need the top portion.

Anyway, anyone have experience with doing this mod? From what I read I need to use an isolator, I hear GM makes one. One of my biggest questions is what alternator to go with? I just finished doing the big 3 upgrade with 0 gauge.. but I want an alternator that I don’t have to modify, my wiring is the rectangle plug into the back of the alt if that helps.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What will be the purpose of your dual battery setup? Mine is set up so I can power my camper from my MAIN battery (in the original location) with my secondary battery solely as a backup in case the main battery gets run down or fails. That just happened. My MAIN battery (Diehard Platinum with four year replacement warranty) died dead after 2.5 years. I just flipped the switch to the backup and away we went. The backup is only connected/charged while the engine is running when the switch is in the normal position. The start position switches it in parallel for starting. The system I use is the HellRoaring backup battery system. Easy install.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you wanting a dual battery for starting power? Power a camper? An isolator will allow the extra battery to charge and not discharge the main battery so you can power a trailer or other accessories with just the extra battery.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it's not needed for some external use as noted above you can just run it parallel, nothing extra needed other than a 2nd cable to the starter from 2nd battery and a ground wire.
your existing alternator will work fine
if you are running audio amps or something then you might want to upgrade the alternator 160amp are pretty common, anything higher and you will want to do your homework as to what will work best for you.

bsamole

Reaction score
I agree with Doubeleive. Years ago I setup a dual battery with isolator using GM parts for the second tray and hold down. However the isolator broke and I just ran parallel cable to the original battery. I believe Doubeleive's idea to run the parallel cable directly to the starter is a better idea. My alternator is stock and I do not run power drawing equipment. Not sure of the benefit in having the second battery without an isolator but it is there.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Doubeleive. Years ago I setup a dual battery with isolator using GM parts for the second tray and hold down. However the isolator broke and I just ran parallel cable to the original battery. I believe Doubeleive's idea to run the parallel cable directly to the starter is a better idea. My alternator is stock and I do not run power drawing equipment. Not sure of the benefit in having the second battery without an isolator but it is there.
extra amp hours and cca's, less likely to come out to no start situation

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whatever you decide both batteries should match (same model/brand) and be the same age, so don't go get a new battery and pair it up with a old one. get 2 new ones

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another beni is you can jump start someone else with ease, even if there battery is completely flat lined, the extra juice helps a lot

OP
OP
th3 shifty

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to have extra electronics in the truck, flip down monitor, possibly run an Xbox. I also do have a car hauler with lighting and winch..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369