E-85 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you know that you don't need a Flex Fuel vehicle to run E-85? I have a 95 Tahoe 5.7 TBI motor that will run on E-85. If I run 100% ya the motor runs like crap but does run and drive. If I run about 50% it starts and runs OK but does have a Hesitation when it is cold but as for going down the highway or interstate you would never know the difference. I have always noticed a rich gas smell from my exhaust and my tail pipe is black so I may have a rich gas mixture and that might explain why I am able to run the E-85. Normally you would have to richen up the fuel mixture to run this on a carburetor vehicle or even a TBI. I don't recommend this for anyone to try but if you have a old vehicle that you can afford to experiment with, it might save you some cash at the pump. I know E-85 does not get as good of mileage as regular fuel and you will notice a performance loss. I hope my Tahoe "Test Mule" helps others that wondered if they could run E-85.

Last edited:

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think most any car would run on E-85, I think the biggest problem is not having a fuel system designed to run on E-85. I think E-85 is very corrosive and Flex Fuel vehicles have a fuel system made to withstand. I could be wrong though.

sticks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You're right. Almost any engine will run on E85. However, it is very corrosive. It'll run... for an unknown amount of time. Eventually all your fuel lines will have leaks, your pump will die, and injectors will malfunction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts