ect high?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight on the way home noticed my gauge reading pretty high. I plugged in my auto cal for an accurate #. It was 230 F. I got on the gas for a 1/4 mile or so and the therm must have opened and it came down to 210 F.
Motor is stock, thermostat is factory. 93 oct bb tune.

Is this hot?

delta579

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Electric fans turning on ? Fan clutch OK ? It's rare, but water pump/circulator vane disk can dislodge/rot from pump shaft and spin mostly free causing a low flow condition. Higher RPM's sometimes catch the vanes and flow for a while lowering coolant temp.. Check to make sure radiator and condenser fins are clear. Power wash at car wash, you wouldn't believe the gunk that comes out of most of them.

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric fans turning on ? Fan clutch OK ? It's rare, but water pump/circulator vane disk can dislodge/rot from pump shaft and spin mostly free causing a low flow condition. Higher RPM's sometimes catch the vanes and flow for a while lowering coolant temp.. Check to make sure radiator and condenser fins are clear. Power wash at car wash, you wouldn't believe the gunk that comes out of most of them.

Hmm, the truck has 130k on it, never thought of a water pump doing that, i was thinking a messsed up thermostat. Ill check the clutch fan, how can i check wp flow?

How much of a pita are the water pumps on these?

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so i changed the thermostat today after work. Using my auto cal to read the temp it went up to about 199, i didnt see it open up in the #'s but it didnt go any higher. My cluster gauge read just under 210 where it used to. Does this sound right to everyone else or should i ripping the wp off?

delta579

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Water pump change out is easy, but messy. I got 150K out of mine before the gasket failed. Pump was still good, just the gasket failed. Sounds like you found the problem though. Gauge is at normal position. Water Pump flow ? Two lines going into the heater core, one input, one output. Set heat to highest, set fan to high. Start engine. As engine warms up compare temps between the 2 heater core hoses. One should be significantly cooler than the other as the heater core bleeds heat from coolant, you may even be able to feel the flow with hand. When engine comes up to temp, you should be able to compare temps of the 2 core hoses and the upper radiator hose. The upper radiator and the core input line should be very close in temp, and the core output should feel cooler. Having an infrared temp gauge makes this easier and more accurate, although not really needed. Glad to hear your problem solved.

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water pump change out is easy, but messy. I got 150K out of mine before the gasket failed. Pump was still good, just the gasket failed. Sounds like you found the problem though. Gauge is at normal position. Water Pump flow ? Two lines going into the heater core, one input, one output. Set heat to highest, set fan to high. Start engine. As engine warms up compare temps between the 2 heater core hoses. One should be significantly cooler than the other as the heater core bleeds heat from coolant, you may even be able to feel the flow with hand. When engine comes up to temp, you should be able to compare temps of the 2 core hoses and the upper radiator hose. The upper radiator and the core input line should be very close in temp, and the core output should feel cooler. Having an infrared temp gauge makes this easier and more accurate, although not really needed. Glad to hear your problem solved.

Thanks i can try that, i do have a infared lazer temp gauge.