ECU software

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BattleTank

Reaction score
Does ECU software differentiate between PPV and civilian models?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does ECU software differentiate between PPV and civilian models?
yes and no

yes: it may have custom settings (nothing beyond what the engine can normally produce with any other custom tune)
no: if there are custom settings you cannot replace it yourself or reprogram it the same if it went bad, requires a leo organization and special authorization from gm

also no: if you replace it and program it yourself or have it programmed by a dealer it will be stock (in this regard there is no physical difference of any kind)

options: custom tuning from a tuner such as blackbear

** in addtion a ppv may also have a TCM tune to help in pursuit situation by adjusting the transmission tune to maintain a lower gear ratio to keep speed the up based on the engine rev. kind of like driving around the city in 3rd gear which can be fun, lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BattleTank

Reaction score
I understand the software will have custom settings. Software is the same, but the settings are different. For one thing I noticed, A/C does not cutout at any throttle percentage. I'm not saying its like that for PPV, but on other makes of GM, I know A/C cuts off at certain points.

I was hoping maybe someone had some clues or a list of actual differences. HPTuners does not allow us users to upload ECU files anymore so I don't have a verified source of ECU files.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the software will have custom settings. Software is the same, but the settings are different. For one thing I noticed, A/C does not cutout at any throttle percentage. I'm not saying its like that for PPV, but on other makes of GM, I know A/C cuts off at certain points.

I was hoping maybe someone had some clues or a list of actual differences. HPTuners does not allow us users to upload ECU files anymore so I don't have a verified source of ECU files.
I have mine tuned by blackbear and it does cut off the ac, each organization can request specific needs with GM and so it can vary, they may have the limiter set to only do 119 or it may be set to 160, just depends on what they requested when they ordered.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In fact the 2015ppv shifts a tiny bit earlier in some gears, guessing because of smaller tires.
Speed limit might be set in the BCM of PPV's, and can be overidden with an ECM tune.
If you're 4WD you don't have a PPV.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Mine is still set at 98. Must be due to 4wd?
possibly but having 4wd alone is not a reason to have the limit set that low.
I have had various 4wd gm's and the stock limiter varied anywhere from 98~115, same with 2wd
your only speed limitation with 4wd is when in 4lo which I think is either 35 or 45 otherwise you risk damaging it.
with that said I have not purposely tried to do 140 in 4wd high lol. although possible I wouldn't recomend it. 4wd drive has a time and place which is rare depending on your environment. I guess if you traverse a big mud pit on your daily commute your needs will differ.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In fact the 2015ppv shifts a tiny bit earlier in some gears, guessing because of smaller tires.
Speed limit might be set in the BCM of PPV's, and can be over-riden with an ECM tune.
If you're 4WD you don't have a PPV.
ppv's come in 2wd or 4wd, that has no bearing on it.
and the shift setting mostly depends on how you press the big pedal. I can make mine stay in 3rd gear to 100 all dependent upon pedal position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YukonGold12