2016 Yukon XL repairs for 100k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mamalisa08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all! I’m the original owner of a 2016 Yukon XL Denali. It just flipped 100k. I took it into our dealer because the tire pressure sensor needed to be reset. While there I asked them to do a once over on it and give me an estimate on anything that needed work. Here is the list. The estimate is like $8k+….. soooo…. before I have a bunch of work done, I thought I’d ask if anyone has had these done on their similar year Yukon. Or if anyone has other advice. Given there is so much and it’s so much money I’m doing a little homework. We’ve had very few problems with this vehicle. I take it in for the usual maintenance at a local place near me and am always on time with oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

Does this all sound reasonable for a vehicle of this age and mileage?

- New spark plugs
- Front struts are apparently shot and need to be replaced (didn’t notice but maybe I don’t know what I’m supposed to be noticing with the ride)
- Surge tank leak
- Oil pan leak
- Oil lines leaking
- Rear differential leak
- Water pump leak
- Brake fluid change
- Transmission service

blondie70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would take it to your local place and let them check out these things. Think the dealer sounds like $7000 too high to me.(even if they all need checking..such as "brake fluid change" ha. Good Luck

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely does NOT sound reasonable! Those are all regular fluid replacement maintenance items and small leaks, except for the struts. I would say $2500 would be reasonable on the "way high side", unless there's an absurd amount of labor to do all the other work, but I wouldn't think so.

Find another shop and get a different quote. Maybe consider an independent shop.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I’m the original owner of a 2016 Yukon XL Denali. It just flipped 100k. I took it into our dealer because the tire pressure sensor needed to be reset. While there I asked them to do a once over on it and give me an estimate on anything that needed work. Here is the list. The estimate is like $8k+….. soooo…. before I have a bunch of work done, I thought I’d ask if anyone has had these done on their similar year Yukon. Or if anyone has other advice. Given there is so much and it’s so much money I’m doing a little homework. We’ve had very few problems with this vehicle. I take it in for the usual maintenance at a local place near me and am always on time with oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

- New spark plugs
- Front struts are apparently shot and need to be replaced (didn’t notice but maybe I don’t know what I’m supposed to be noticing with the ride)
- Surge tank leak
- Oil pan leak
- Oil lines leaking
- Rear differential leak
- Water pump leak
- Brake fluid change
- Transmission service
All things that in a perfect world should be addressed, a independent shop is probably cheaper
the good thing is that you can piece meal it out and take care of the most important stuff first.
in this order
water pump leak
surge tank leak
rear diff leak
spark plugs
transmission service
oil pan leak
oil lines
brake fluid flush
struts

that's how I would approach it. leaks should be done first, if you let that go it just leads to additional problems later although oil pan and oil lines leaking is not critical as long as it's not leaving a big oil spot on a daily basis, a slow oil leak is not a big deal, a coolant leak is

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not believe one word this dealer is telling you. Sounds to me like another big time wallet flush service.

I would consider the Transmission Service but NOT from this dealer. This dealer must hose every customer that comes in there.

OP
OP
mamalisa08

mamalisa08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All things that in a perfect world should be addressed, a independent shop is probably cheaper
the good thing is that you can piece meal it out and take care of the most important stuff first.
in this order
water pump leak
surge tank leak
rear diff leak
spark plugs
transmission service
oil pan leak
oil lines
brake fluid flush
struts

that's how I would approach it. leaks should be done first, if you let that go it just leads to additional problems later although oil pan and oil lines leaking is not critical as long as it's not leaving a big oil spot on a daily basis, a slow oil leak is not a big deal, a coolant leak is
Thank you! This is helpful.

OP
OP
mamalisa08

mamalisa08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I would take it to your local place and let them check out these things. Think the dealer sounds like $7000 too high to me.(even if they all need checking..such as "brake fluid change" ha. Good Luck
Thank you

OP
OP
mamalisa08

mamalisa08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do not believe one word this dealer is telling you. Sounds to me like another big time wallet flush service.

I would consider the Transmission Service but NOT from this dealer. This dealer must hose every customer that comes in there.
You are probably right. Thank you.

OP
OP
mamalisa08

mamalisa08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Absolutely does NOT sound reasonable! Those are all regular fluid replacement maintenance items and small leaks, except for the struts. I would say $2500 would be reasonable on the "way high side", unless there's an absurd amount of labor to do all the other work, but I wouldn't think so.

Find another shop and get a different quote. Maybe consider an independent shop.
Will do, thank you.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

- New spark plugs
- Surge tank leak
- Oil pan leak
- Oil lines leaking
- Rear differential leak
- Water pump leak
- Brake fluid change
- Transmission service
I agree with the others here that this is a highly suspect estimate. For what it’s worth, I have 247K on the original autoride front shocks on my 2007 Yukon XL Denali. They’ve had a slight seep from the top seal for at least the last 50K, and every year at inspection time the shop mentions it, but the ride control and damping are both perfect, so I keep running them.

And I would be interested in seeing photos of the alleged water pump and recovery tank leaks. If the coolant level isn’t dropping over a matter of weeks, they’re likely not leaks at all. 160-200K is a more typical lifespan for those components. Same with the alleged differential leak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ABN45