Edelbrock Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTgmc

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has installed the Edelbrock Headers for our vehicles and have this issue...The flange where the headers bolt to the exhaust tubes (I have duals) is mounted is a traingle shape with three bolts to compress the the header and exhaust tube together. Even with lock washers, the bolts have an extreme tendency to loosen and fall out. THis has happened five or six times spread across both sides. I have used lock washers, going to try a castleated nut and cotter pin this time around. Which due to spacing around it might prove to be a giant PTA, but I am pretty sure locktite would just melt away and not do anything to help. Just seeing if anyone else has experienced this. If not, I hope this can help someone who comes along later with this issue...

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
weld it? Im getting ready to put headers and 3 inch pipe all the way back with new cats and muffler. Its all going to be welded together... Just a thought...

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
never had this problem with mine.. hmm. What about the nylon nuts? or is there anyroom to put 2 nuts back to back and tighten the shit out of them that way?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must have something lined up wrong or the exhaust system is solidly mounted, of all the stuff that I have had loosen up on me (header bolts, tranny mounts, tranny bolts just to name a few) I've never had collector nuts and bolts loosen on me on any of my rides. I run headers on just about everything I have ...

JubjubW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The headers are solid, run some flex pipe

Exhaust-Flexible-Pipe-HYB-.jpg

my dad did this on his Sprint (GMC's El Camino) and it helps to let the motor move and twist while allowing the exhaust to not shake.

sprint.jpg

Here's my dad's Sprint, and that's my old Blazer in the background

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LTgmc

Reaction score
I just picked up the nylon locking nuts. I will try that tmw. Only time will tell. If that fails, Ill just start working through the ideas. Double nuts then the flex pipe. Its only about every couple months that one or two end up falling out, never an entire side at once or anything.
Thanks again for the help!

arb905

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nylon nuts will fail. It gets too hot. The nylon with burn, melt, dry up, whatever. Try looking on summit. They sell header bolts with locks. The bolt has a an anti-spin device that goes over the flats on the head and the head has a groove that a c-clip fits in. typical of most hot rods. And they make hi-temp thread seal.

Also, if the motor is vibrating that much, either you have a bad motor mount or the engine is out of balance. Header bolts shouldn't come loose unless you have a Ford.

Last edited:

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah nylon nuts aren't gonna do anything other then waste money, you can get some mechanical locking nuts locally and use those, those won't back off.

OP
OP
L

LTgmc

Reaction score
Why I figured locktite would fail but nylon locking nuts wouldnt...wow. Must be distracted by the tranny or something. I will look for those mechanically locking nuts and or header bolt set over break, it will give me a good excuse to get away from the inlaws for a few minutes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plyoung