Emissions Test Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had an error code related to small evap leak and circuit failure.
I cleaned the gas tank filler neck and cleared codes about a week ago.
No codes have returned.

I went in for the biannual emissions test today (plug in test) and it failed because it noted three "not ready" notations in the test report; Evap System, Oxygen sensor, Oxygen sensor heated.

The technician asked if the vehicle has sit around for much time or has not seen highway use (because there is no history in memory)?
The answer to that is that it only sees about 15 local miles a day and generally no highway use.
He suggested running it down the highway for 30 to 40 miles because all of the three system issues were related to highway driving.

Is that a reasonable assessment?
Or perhaps because error codes were cleared about a week ago and not many miles have been put on the truck since?

The truck starts and runs fine and, as noted, no codes have returned.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently had an error code related to small evap leak and circuit failure.
I cleaned the gas tank filler neck and cleared codes about a week ago.
No codes have returned.

I went in for the biannual emissions test today (plug in test) and it failed because it noted three "not ready" notations in the test report; Evap System, Oxygen sensor, Oxygen sensor heated.

The technician asked if the vehicle has sit around for much time or has not seen highway use (because there is no history in memory)?
The answer to that is that it only sees about 15 local miles a day and generally no highway use.
He suggested running it down the highway for 30 to 40 miles because all of the three system issues were related to highway driving.

Is that a reasonable assessment?
Or perhaps because error codes were cleared about a week ago and not many miles have been put on the truck since?

The truck starts and runs fine and, as noted, no codes have returned.
ya when the codes are cleared it reset's all the sensors so they show "not ready", just drive it and check it with a code reader in a few days and then take it back when they are ready

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya when the codes are cleared it reset's all the sensors so they show "not ready", just drive it and check it with a code reader in a few days and then take it back when they are ready
I don't ever recall seeing where to look to if anything is "not ready" on my reader.
Any idea where to look?
I generally just go to read current codes and lately the report is "no codes".

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't ever recall seeing where to look to if anything is "not ready" on my reader.
Any idea where to look?
I generally just go to read current codes and lately the report is "no codes".
depends on your scanner, many have a display like this one with little indicators green is ready, red is not ready, the tech2 has a im readyness menu, it is different than the small handhelds
61.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
depends on your scanner, many have a display like this one with little indicators green is ready, red is not ready, the tech2 has a im readyness menu, it is different than the small handhelds
View attachment 437553

^^ This ^^ Look for something like "I/M Readiness Monitors" or "I/M Monitor Status."

EDIT: I/M = inspection/maintenance

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for whatever excuse to add more miles to your daily routine.
When you do, keep the tank between 3/8ths full & 5/8ths full, so the EVAP system will more easily report 'Ready'.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 437553
I don't have anything that looks like that.
When I scan for "other codes" (vs current) some of the readings say "not tested" since last start. Maybe that is a clue.
I'll research if it has readiness status reports though. Darned thing (Autel MD906 Pro) didn't come with a manual but there probably is one out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
The readiness readings were buried deep in the "OBED" menu rather than the "Scan" menu.
Got an objective now including putting some more miles on since the previous reset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustin Road