Emissions Test Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting.. what state do you live in. I wish er could sort out the specs for each state. I sware someone just passed theirs with the evap not ready before everyone else passed.

was yours just evap not ready. or others on the list not ready too.
There were three "not readys", probably because I had done CEL reset a few days before only for a P0449 code. I didn't realize that the action would erase other stored data but the CEL alone would be a test failure.
The three things not ready were Oxygen sensor, Heated Oxygen sensor and the EVAP system.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check your I/M monitors with your scanner to see if the O2 codes passed by now, and that the evap is the only issue.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MikeZ71,
On a quick peek on the status today I did see some "No"s listed but didn't write them down.

On the procedure that you posted, does that have to be done from a clean reset or do it anytime after some driving?

Also in the linked article it mentions "EVAP Service bay test".
Can you shed light on that?
A evap test can be done with a tech2 under certain circumstances, like it has to be cold, then the test has to be ran with rpm's held between 2~4k rpm or something like that and if you accidentally bump it up or down you have to start over and then it's no longer "cold" so ya major pita.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were three "not readys", probably because I had done CEL reset a few days before only for a P0449 code. I didn't realize that the action would erase other stored data but the CEL alone would be a test failure.
The three things not ready were Oxygen sensor, Heated Oxygen sensor and the EVAP system.

ahh that makes sense, yeah you gotta catch with when it's the only one that says. unavailable but everything else has passed but not long enough it sets the check engine light.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're interested Mike at Go Tech (Wells) does a great job of explaining evap systems and tests. Some are specific to GM systems.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh that makes sense, yeah you gotta catch with when it's the only one that says. unavailable but everything else has passed but not long enough it sets the check engine light.
Today the only one still noted as "INC" was the obed system so some progress is made.
Waiting on the valve delivery.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the new valve on today after having to scramble around town to find an adapter wiring pigtail.
Thanks GM for changing the wire plug socket shape in the oem valves that you manufacture now and not include the wire or even a warning!
The aftermarket valves seen for sale include the adapter wire but GM does not.
NAPA had it but charges five times mail order price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, after a hundred miles down the highway at 55 mph today the computer came completely back to ready state and passed the emissions retest.

There was still a downside to passing the retest as the state cut the next test schedule spacing in half so one year instead of the standard two years. I called the state on it and was told it was because there was a failure and weren't sympathetic to fact that there was an actual failure in the previous test but rather there were "not ready" reports. Seems they really want that $20 to recoup for the free retest today.

Anyways, thanks for the advice.

The lesson learned is that erasing a CEL code wipes out other historical recorded data on the vehicle.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No good sumsabtches so sick of this game while everyone elses drives around in whatever shit box they please fkn joke

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No good sumsabtches so sick of this game while everyone elses drives around in whatever shit box they please fkn joke
I missed my test (by not knowing when it was due) some years ago and after paying the late fee (that bill came in a flash) I asked when I have to get the test now that I paid up; I was told don't worry about it.
Draw one's own conclusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHKSTR96