Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCx2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 2 GMC Yukons. One is a 2004 with the 4.8L the other is a 2019 with the 6.2L. There is a big difference in power. Has anyone swapped a 4.8 for the 6.2? I'm assuming engine, trans, and wiring would all have to be done. I don't want to just swap a normal 6.2 in the truck though. I'm going to have it built as a sleeper. Looking at all the drivetrain and suspension.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 GMC Yukons. One is a 2004 with the 4.8L the other is a 2019 with the 6.2L. There is a big difference in power. Has anyone swapped a 4.8 for the 6.2? I'm assuming engine, trans, and wiring would all have to be done. I don't want to just swap a normal 6.2 in the truck though. I'm going to have it built as a sleeper. Looking at all the drivetrain and suspension.
Externally the 2 engines are dimensionally the same. So the engine will bolt right into place. The problem is that the 2004 engine is a Gen3 and the 2019 is a Gen4 and the difference there is the reluctor wheel on the crank which provides timing information to the PCM. The 2 engines use 2 different PCM's so the PCM will have to be changed and likely the wiring harness too.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The different generations are not compatible computer wise. Your cluster cannot talk to the 6.2 and visa versa without a mountain of research and work.

Stick with a 6.0 of the same Gen III platform and consider supercharging or stroking it for more torque/power.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Way too much work required to make it a viable project.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
The different generations are not compatible computer wise. Your cluster cannot talk to the 6.2 and visa versa without a mountain of research and work.

Stick with a 6.0 of the same Gen III platform and consider supercharging or stroking it for more torque/power.
I second that it will be much easier/plug and play vs the newer generation plus its much easier to find a 6.0 in the scrapyard out a 99-06 then it is to find a lemon 6.2 in a special order truck or Denali
Note it would be worth finding a high output 6.0 out a 05-06 Cadillac or Denali vs out a 2500 work truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jr Dougi

Latest posts