Engine tick!? Dealer says its normal??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ok so got a 2010 lt 5.3 aluminum block AFM Tahoe. Lately the last couple months the oil pressure was only reading 20psi at idle warm and 30 cruising and never a hair over 45 at WOT. These numbers use to be higher, but then I took it to the dealer and they said they found the oil pressure sensor shorted and replaced it. No change , so time went on and I started hearing a noise like ticking. Thought it was my lifters as per the SI document about faulty AFM lifters. Brought it to a new dealer in Houston tx and they were very nice but couldn't hear anything and suggested I come in and meet by the truck with a tech. He listened and said he could kind of hear it and they would be glad to put new lifter in for me but that it may not correct the noise. Oh and it's most audible through the passenger side valve cover. I had the stethoscope on it and I could hear them clankin good but u you can still hear it without them with the hood closed from nearby. Also from the cabin a vage ticking relivent to rpm. Anyways I was excited to pick the truck up today and read the receipt of all the work that was done. They suggested the oil pressure is normal and installed 16 new lifters a whole bunch of gaskets and bolts including exhaust manifold gaskets new oil and filter, topped off coolant and as soon as they pulled it out all shiny and washed which was nice I could still hear it. Not mad at the dealer but I just left. Before I left the very nice sales writer said to me they could try to fix it if I wasn't happy but it sounded normal to him. I need the truck to commute to hennessey performance where I go to school everyday so I couldn't leave it there any longer. Got home popped the belt off and started it to see if it was a pulley noise. Still the same . So I'm stumped. Could the oil pressure be the problem? It's only on one side should I try to get an oil pump out of them? There's a document on SI saying the oil pressure relief valve could get stuck open dropping pressures but if tht was the case I don't know how low it would go. Any one have any insight or even have the same warm idle pressures as me??

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same idle pressure on our 2011 5.3L. 20 at idle 45 when crushing. I've read around the forums and it sounds normal. I did have some piston slap (not sure if this is the same sound youre hearing) when I first bought it last winter during cold starting up in 30-40 degree temps but seems to have gone away. Your post makes me want to have the dealership look mine over tho.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065