Exhaust with a $600 budget. Help me make my decision!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the Borla is pretty quiet with stock exhaust manifolds...but very loud with LT and ORY. (Which I dont think you can run in Cali.) Do you know which borla muffler it will be?

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I personally have never ran Borla on my truck, but I have had friends that did and they werent happy. Actually I have heard guys on the board say its not loud enough. And going off whatyou said before, that magnaflow wont be loud enough, I assume Borla will be much quiter. I think Borla is a great quality system, just not woth the $$ to me for the sound.

Look up youtube clips. Although its not the best reference, you can clearly tell its not a "loud" exhaust system. It is known to be very mellow sounding. For example...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3qcVHI2A3Q

I would be running Corsa if I could afford it...but I didnt have that money when I did exhaust. I know if you get a small case magnaflow you can save a lot of $$ over borla and get it custom ran out the back how you want.

As you mentioned before you loved the sound of Flowmaster. Borla wont even be close. I say do a llittle research online before you spend all that money and end up upset like the wheels.

Lastly, not trying to come off mean or make you feel like you wont be happy, I just think from what you originally said you wanted, Borla wont satisfy you. It took me forever to pick my exhaust out.

OP
OP
Need4Speed

Need4Speed

Reaction score
That Borla sound clip didn't sound bad at all IMO. I want it to be pretty mellow at idle and a nice deep growl when you give it a little gas. I've listened to so many sound clips on YouTube over the past month everything's starting to sound similar.
It's hard to judge an exhaust over YouTube I feel. Everyone's got a little bit different set ups on their trucks and everyone's cameras a little different.
And I did love my old flowmaster. But you've gotta remember it was a big block ford motor and it had stainless headers... No matter how much I want this little 5.3L to sound like that, it'll never happen.
For now the borla will do it for me and once I get some headers she'll be purrin nice. I'm in college so my trucks gettin pieced together with every paycheck.

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to get headers, then the Borla will really come alive later. Im anxious to see how yours turns out. When do you expect to buy it and install?

OP
OP
Need4Speed

Need4Speed

Reaction score
Thanks man I'm gettin anxious. I'll buy and install once I ge my tax return money. I'd say within the month! I'll make sure to post up some clips when it's all done.

Mr.Martin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the super 44 flowmaster with turn downs. Muffler was under 100. Shop didn't charge much to weld it in. If I'm not mistaken I didn't have 600 hundred in pacesetter headers, pacesetter Y-pipe, removed cats, muffler, and installation. Everything was bought new. You can sell your cats for a pretty penny to help pay for the upgrades. It might be a little on the loud side for you. I have videos of it somewhere.

OP
OP
Need4Speed

Need4Speed

Reaction score
The Borla cat back showed up on Friday and I got it all installed Monday mornin. I'm diggin the look of the twins. I'm not too excited about the chrome on the tips that it came with. I'll eventually swap them out with some black tips. Which I think will make it louder too because the stock tips are ported on the inside.
Does the porting act as a silencer or what's the purpose?

It's definately a mellow system by itself. But damn do I love that low growl! I can still drive around quietly but when I step on it really opens up. I could imagine this system sounding bad ass with some headers.
Over all I think Borla nailed it for sound quality and freed up a noticeable amount of pull throughout the gears.

SOUND CLIPS COMING SOON

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad u ended up liking it! If you do long tubes they will def get a lot louder. I say picking exhaust is the hardest thing to do over the Internet via crappy YouTube clips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925