Extend range on key FOB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the Freq spectrum that the fob use's probably not unless you are running some high power illegal ham or cb equipment
most oem fobs are in the mid 300-450mhz uhf/fm short range, similar to tpms freq
compared to my Viper which is in the 1.6~1.7ghz range

I didn't think it likely, but, sometimes, all you can do is start eliminating possibilities.

joe

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
2000 GMC Yukon Denali. Love my truck but, I have a problem with my key FOB. I think I'm still using original key fob. It has no range. Must be right next to driver door window before it unlocks. Maybe 2 foot range. I have cleaned all internal contacts, replaced batteries, done everything I can think of to add range. Does anyone have any suggestions. Get newer fob? Can I add antenna? Where is receiver in truck? Anyone have better range with aftermarket fob? I am interested in any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
I got one of the 2015+ style key fobs from boost auto idk why but it reads 3x farther then what my old key fob did
For example I would have to go by the side door to the carport to remote start the Tahoe and after I could remote start it from the living room halfway through the house no issues and in a parking lot could unlock or start it from 200+ feet away! Definitely worth the 60$ or whatever it was to buy it!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got one of the 2015+ style key fobs from boost auto idk why but it reads 3x farther then what my old key fob did
For example I would have to go by the side door to the carport to remote start the Tahoe and after I could remote start it from the living room halfway through the house no issues and in a parking lot could unlock or start it from 200+ feet away! Definitely worth the 60$ or whatever it was to buy it!
that is a good option, I have found that the 2015+ fobs tend to wear quickly so I changed mine to a AJT case, then there is nothing to "wear" they are injection molded and come in a variety of colors. $40 (case only). mine is about 3 1/2 years old and has been proven to be pretty much unbreakable, been dropped numerous times.
ajt4.JPGajt5.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems like an expensive big square pocket snagging key fob to me
doesn't snag on anything, there are no sharp edges it is completely smooth on all sides, buttons are recessed, lightweight. I bought that to replace the fob for the 2018 that looked it had been to war, no more "rubber" buttons.
it has the same button configuration as the boost auto fob
the buttons are embossed/engraved whatever, no print to wear off
I was skeptical at first that it might break but this thing has proven to be durable, hasn't come loose or anything.

Reaction score
Still big and square compared to an OE ~99-14 teardrop shaped fob if you ask me.

I like small rounded fobs, lol

02 mustang fob, although square it's small and rounded
01 yukon fob
12 yukon fob
15 Acadia fob

All original, OE

20240831_125002.jpg

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the same one Wes and Trey did. I don’t know how it works so much better but they’re right. I can unlock or remote start big mama from my living room. Here they are side by side. Not much difference in size and definitely doesn’t snag on anything.

Attachments

• IMG_2929.jpeg
    IMG_2929.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
A lot different in size, lol.

I guess none of mine have gotten to the crappy range point yet. They still work from anywhere in my house or the other side of a parking lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369