Extend range on key FOB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvergreenZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to reply but I’ll also assume the obvious that reprogramming and a new battery didn’t help.

My next thought is also outside radio interference. When I went to school at Seattle University my fob wouldn’t work from more than about an arm’s length from the driver’s door / hood. Worked fine everywhere else.

I think in terms of football yard lines and 30 feet seems short. I can normally get 15-20 yards from my remotes and 25-30 if I do the open mouth remote in front of mouth trick. My Boost Auto replacement fob on my suburban is slightly better than my replacement OEM style remote on my Tahoe by a few steps.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to reply but I’ll also assume the obvious that reprogramming and a new battery didn’t help.

My next thought is also outside radio interference. When I went to school at Seattle University my fob wouldn’t work from more than about an arm’s length from the driver’s door / hood. Worked fine everywhere else.

I think in terms of football yard lines and 30 feet seems short. I can normally get 15-20 yards from my remotes and 25-30 if I do the open mouth remote in front of mouth trick. My Boost Auto replacement fob on my suburban is slightly better than my replacement OEM style remote on my Tahoe by a few steps.

Even correct frequencies can be a problem, if too strong.

While at ATT, we'd lose cell service when working too close to a cell tower.

[I'm assuming signal strength was the issue. We never came up with another theory.]

joe

OP
OP
F

firstcomesl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Even correct frequencies can be a problem, if too strong.

While at ATT, we'd lose cell service when working too close to a cell tower.

[I'm assuming signal strength was the issue. We never came up with another theory.]

joe
I live in Seattle on Queen Anne hill. Tried reprogram. Same distance, less than 3 ft. Fob ordered from Amazon didn't work. I think it was for different brand of truck even though amazon said for my truck. I've gone to another place to order different fob. Something tells me that these older trucks (1999-2000) had fobs with no real range, ie only unlock door when standing next to it.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the one I ordered for the 2015+ didn’t come from Amazon but at least you can easily get a refund.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starnuts28