External Hard Drive as .mp3 player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinnacle Group

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone had success in using an external laptop style (self powered) HDD? My 2012 Tahoe will not recognize the device unfortunately (2TB WD unit).

I tried formatting to FAT32, and a few other things, but no dice. Anyone familiar with the limitations on this?

Thanks for the help!

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Havent tried, but I have the 2012 nav. I will try tonight!

That drive might be too big to recognize?

Chrisalecia

Reaction score
I've tried it without success too. tried it every which way I could think of. Ended up using an old Ipod Nano I had. Now I just leave that in the truck and its always there ready to go. I don't think the vehicle head unit can read the mp3 file as the ipod does. With an ipod plugged in you get the whole file structure and can navigate through artists, songs , etc.

onelovechicago

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it seems like the higher gig hard drives dont work, my 500g doesnt but my small 4g thumb drive does.

YuCanada

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the USB like you guys, but I am willing to bet there is not enough power to run the drive. Large drives usually come with 2 USB plugs, or a wall plug in order to give them enough juice.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have the USB like you guys, but I am willing to bet there is not enough power to run the drive. Large drives usually come with 2 USB plugs, or a wall plug in order to give them enough juice.

There is a power port right by the USB and you can just run a USB car charger for the extra power needed so that shouldn't be the problem

YuCanada

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a power port right by the USB and you can just run a USB car charger for the extra power needed so that shouldn't be the problem

True. But they are not mentioning whether or not they are using that, so I just suggested it.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. But they are not mentioning whether or not they are using that, so I just suggested it.

I just assumed they are as most 2.5" external drives have 2 USBs on one end.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get 2.5" externals that are USB power. I have a 1tb that I plug into the USB on my pioneer for movies and music. Navigation is folder based. But I can put on auto shuffle and she works like a champ. But I mainly use my iPod classic bc of the better navigation and faster processor for searching

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get 2.5" externals that are USB power. I have a 1tb that I plug into the USB on my pioneer for movies and music. Navigation is folder based. But I can put on auto shuffle and she works like a champ. But I mainly use my iPod classic bc of the better navigation and faster processor for searching

Since when does an iPod classic have navigation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buukum