Factory Nav is constantly lost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68sixspeed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone having problems with the factory nav giving a 'no gps' fault a lot of the time? I have the v5 disc in it, so it's current. Half the time it has me on the wrong road, in a lake, 1/2 to 10 miles off. The only way to get it back on track seems to be to stop for a few minutes or if I hit a city or get stuck in traffic? I thought I found a TSB on this that the dealers needed to upload something new, anyone know of this or have a link to the TSB? thanks- Dan

phileaglesfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any mods to the system? I only had my Yukon for about 5000 miles but I haven't had a problem with it. I did notice this week that it thinks it is faster (fastest route) to go from Albuquerque to Salt Lake City via Denver (I25 and I70) rather then go through the 4 corners region (the shortest route). You are talking about a difference of almost 5 hours.

It sounds like your unit is not updating its location real time. Could be bad unit itself or the antenna where ever that might be.

OP
OP

68sixspeed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No mods, stock and boring so far. I know it's always been touchy about seeing the sky, back roads with lots of tree canopy overhead would mess with it, but all the leaves are off the trees now. It seems somehow worse than when I got it 2+ years ago, but it does still work. Some days though if I go to work, 14 miles, it's 12 miles before it locks on to where I really am, it will have me 2 towns over on interstate highway when I'm on side roads or state highways 5-10 miles from where is says I am. I figure I'm do for a dealer visit while I'm still on the 3/36 but they aren't the brightest Christmas light in the string if you get my drift! Plus being intermittent it's harder to argue than if it just didn't work all the time. Antenna is a thought, I checked to see if it was loose on the roof, but it could be a wire or something I guess.

phileaglesfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was an aircraft mechanic for 20 years and an intermittent fault is usually a loose connection somewhere. This can be in the wiring or in the part itself. Try to keep track of when the NAV system starts acting strange (IE hitting a bump, turning left, braking, etc). It can be a loose ground also. Check simple things like the fuse (for being loose since it obviously is not blown). I use to hate it when a pilot came back saying it "happened during a 8-9 G turn" because of course I couldn't dupicate it. And with about 15 miles of wires in a jet only 43 feet long with a crap load of computers and parts the fault could have been anywhere.

OP
OP

68sixspeed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting update on this one, looks like having the radar detector on the windshield in the center may cause problems, the gps antenna is in front of the radio under the dash, not part of the roof mounted antenna. I've moved my gps and it seems better, only showed no-gps a few times and for only a short bit, not lost for 10 miles like before.... Figure I'd pass it along for others. -Dan