Factory tow hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viven44

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Added a factory tow hitch on my recently acquired low mileage 2002 Yukon. It had the harness tucked underneath with a factory installed plug.

The tow / haul button on the column shifter didn’t do anything when I checked it a couple days ago but hopefully it does now… (if it doesn’t I saw somewhere here it was a common problem from a wire getting chewed up in the column)

What is the factory manual torque spec for the 6 grade 10 metric bolts for the tow hitch ?

PS: I picked up 2 tow hitch receivers on marketplace last evening, thankfully one of them (off another Yukon) bolted up. The one off the Yukon XL didn’t and it required one of the bolt locations to be modified slightly so I’m glad I picked up 2 of them.

4EC10395-EDF8-4F7D-88C8-77DCDC6D67FD.jpeg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Added a factory tow hitch on my recently acquired low mileage 2002 Yukon. It had the harness tucked underneath with a factory installed plug.

The tow / haul button on the column shifter didn’t do anything when I checked it a couple days ago but hopefully it does now… (if it doesn’t I saw somewhere here it was a common problem from a wire getting chewed up in the column)

What is the factory manual torque spec for the 6 grade 10 metric bolts for the tow hitch ?

PS: I picked up 2 tow hitch receivers on marketplace last evening, thankfully one of them (off another Yukon) bolted up. The one off the Yukon XL didn’t and it required one of the bolt locations to be modified slightly so I’m glad I picked up 2 of them.

View attachment 438377

Have you installed the trailer light fuses yet, and tested the 7-blade for lighting and ground?

OP
OP
viven44

viven44

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you installed the trailer light fuses yet, and tested the 7-blade for lighting and ground?

No I haven't done that. I had assumed all necessary fuses would be in place but good to know I'll need to do that. I was going to run up to a UHAUL nearby to test but I can probe out for voltage myself I suppose with the various lighting positions. (The 7 pin harness should be generic so I'll look up the pin diagram...)

Any idea on what the torque spec is for those bolts ? Currently I've done those to 50 ft lbs... If I can't find the factory specs, I'll do them to ~75 ft lbs and leave it there.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 438377
The tow button should work regardless of anything, so what happens is the wire is super thin and often breaks right under the steering column from shifting the gear lever up and down, so check there first for a break and repair as necessary, all it is a momentary ground to the bcm.

OP
OP
viven44

viven44

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The tow button should work regardless of anything, so what happens is the wire is super thin and often breaks right under the steering column from shifting the gear lever up and down, so check there first for a break and repair as necessary, all it is a momentary ground to the bcm.
Thanks sir. I'll check on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valarie3120