Farewell lifted Tahoes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was nice knowing all the good people here but I regret to inform you that I have unlifted my Tahoe.

My setup, while great, wasn’t perfect and with the ball joints in my Rough Country forged upper control arms going out I decided to take this opportunity to remove the lift. I ended up going with some Mevotech TTX control arms the green ones.

The change in front included removing the front 2.5 inch over strut spacer, swapping in the Mevotech control arms, and removing my CV axles since it seems the front diff has developed a problem.

In the rear I removed the 2.5 inch lift block under my springs, removed the rough country shock extension bracket, and swapping factory length rear sway bar end links back in.

I also removed my 1.5 or 1.75 inch wheels spacers on all 4 corners so she lost some of her wide stance look as well.

I am happy that she still looks great at this height and I am looking forward to a slightly more comfortable ride and a suspension that isn’t fighting itself like it was before, the 2.5 inch spacer was too much for the rough country arms to handle and the upper ball joint was binding at full extension.

After

IMG_8956.jpeg
IMG_8963.jpeg

Before
IMG_8430.jpeg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After is better than before. I never saw before but am not a fan of the lifted Tahoes or Yukons. All that does is add more stress to the steering/suspension/frame.
Fully agree.
It was nice knowing all the good people here but I regret to inform you that I have unlifted my Tahoe.

My setup, while great, wasn’t perfect and with the ball joints in my Rough Country forged upper control arms going out I decided to take this opportunity to remove the lift. I ended up going with some Mevotech TTX control arms the green ones.

The change in front included removing the front 2.5 inch over strut spacer, swapping in the Mevotech control arms, and removing my CV axles since it seems the front diff has developed a problem.

In the rear I removed the 2.5 inch lift block under my springs, removed the rough country shock extension bracket, and swapping factory length rear sway bar end links back in.

I also removed my 1.5 or 1.75 inch wheels spacers on all 4 corners so she lost some of her wide stance look as well.

I am happy that she still looks great at this height and I am looking forward to a slightly more comfortable ride and a suspension that isn’t fighting itself like it was before, the 2.5 inch spacer was too much for the rough country arms to handle and the upper ball joint was binding at full extension.

After

View attachment 430942
View attachment 430943

Before
View attachment 430944
Welcome back to the world of OEM suspensions. Yes, suspension preference/beauty is in the eye of the beholder, OEM suspension design is in the eye of the Design Engineer.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score

After

View attachment 430942
View attachment 430943

Before
View attachment 430944
well maybe you can get back over to the dark side before it’s over with
I feel like some nicer uca would’ve made a difference in your ride or a coil over conversion but I know their pricey that’s why I got my stuff used off marketplace and Craigslist for dirt cheap just gotta wait for the right deal to fall in your lap
It looks good stock though but I’ll definitely miss your lifted look I felt like you had one of the cleaner leveled rigs on here and always thought it looked awesome!
If you decide to go back I can help you out on building a decent system but rough country definitely isn’t it you can piece it together like I did the Silverado with a rc lift fabtech uniball uca and icon coil overs that was a nice ride but stock struts and rc forged arms rode like dogshit

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks a wee lil bit taller than OE, like it'd still be too tall for many NYC parking garages.
Looks right nice, to me, anyway.
@Marky Dissod I have Moog 81244 springs in the front and 81069 in the rear so it is still probably a bit taller than the average Tahoe but from the angles of the suspension now it looks a lot more comfortable within factory geometry, hopefully it rides a little nicer now.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Trey Hardy I might go with a lift again eventually, I like the height of 3 inches of lift but there are no kits that address the lower control arm angle for 3 inches.

I have a 94 k1400 that I am going to make into my off road rig I think

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
@Trey Hardy I might go with a lift again eventually, I like the height of 3 inches of lift but there are no kits that address the lower control arm angle for 3 inches.

I have a 94 k1400 that I am going to make into my off road rig I think
I believe cognito is about the only company who makes a 4” lift with the crossmember drops it’ll show up as a Silverados but you would just reuse your rear lift items for the back half
That kit with some nice coil overs and uniball uca your Tahoe would be riding better then it does in stock form but again shit is expensive that’s why I do my stuff one piece at a time
For the rear you don’t need trailing arm drops until you get up around 6-8” but a adjustable panhard would be needed to center the rear end