Replaced amp..better, now no sound from rear speakers. Any help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder53

Reaction score
Hello all.

I bought my tahoe with the radio not working at ALL. Because i need a radio to be able to drive without wanting to scream, i picked up a bypass harness off of Amazon in hopes it would change something.

It did, I got audio from the front speakers on the passenger and drivers door, albeit it was a bit crackly. At this point the amplifier was removed from the vehicle and in the garbage as I assumed it did not work at all.

I drove around like that for a few months, then got a new amp from pick n pull today from a tahoe with the same option codes as mine just without rear audio controls. (UQ3). I have rear audio controls in the console.

Now, front speakers and tweeters work in the driver/passenger door. Rear pillar speakers work too, along with the sub. The 2nd row speakers do not work at all.

I tried to switch the front speakers to the back to see if I could get it to work then, under the assumption the second row had blown speakers. Still no audio from them. Interesting thing to note is that when i put the 2nd row speakers in the front doors they also did not work.

Where do I go from here?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I bought my tahoe with the radio not working at ALL. Because i need a radio to be able to drive without wanting to scream, i picked up a bypass harness off of Amazon in hopes it would change something.

It did, I got audio from the front speakers on the passenger and drivers door, albeit it was a bit crackly. At this point the amplifier was removed from the vehicle and in the garbage as I assumed it did not work at all.

I drove around like that for a few months, then got a new amp from pick n pull today from a tahoe with the same option codes as mine just without rear audio controls. (UQ3). I have rear audio controls in the console.

Now, front speakers and tweeters work in the driver/passenger door. Rear pillar speakers work too, along with the sub. The 2nd row speakers do not work at all.

I tried to switch the front speakers to the back to see if I could get it to work then, under the assumption the second row had blown speakers. Still no audio from them. Interesting thing to note is that when i put the 2nd row speakers in the front doors they also did not work.

Where do I go from here?
have you checked to see if the fade is set to front only?
sounds like the rear speakers do not work at all but you can confirm easily with a 9v battery or connecting them to any kind of home audio set to low volume just to test them.

OP
OP
TheEnder53

TheEnder53

Reaction score
sounds like the rear speakers do not work at all but you can confirm easily with a 9v battery or connecting them to any kind of home audio set to low volume just to test them.
Fade is set to middle. The rear pillar tweeters and the sub work just fine.

I can try the 9v battery tomorrow without issue.

OP
OP
TheEnder53

TheEnder53

Reaction score
No sound from them connected to home audio.

I couldn’t find any 9v batteries, but i still don’t know why the front speakers wouldn’t work in place of the rear speakers. Are the + and - switched?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No sound from them connected to home audio.

I couldn’t find any 9v batteries, but i still don’t know why the front speakers wouldn’t work in place of the rear speakers. Are the + and - switched?
wouldn't matter if the polarity was backwards, you would stilll hear something
what is this "bypass harness" you are talking about? and what is stock and not stock besides the speakers?

OP
OP
TheEnder53

TheEnder53

Reaction score
wouldn't matter if the polarity was backwards, you would stilll hear something
what is this "bypass harness" you are talking about? and what is stock and not stock besides the speakers?

Just the metra harness other people use but pre-made to bypass the amplifier.

Everything is stock. Radio is stock, sub is stock, nothing has been touched.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just the metra harness other people use but pre-made to bypass the amplifier.

Everything is stock. Radio is stock, sub is stock, nothing has been touched.
reviews are mixed on that thing
no bose?
could be a wire/s is not correct therefore not giving you rear audio also, no telling without looking at a wiring diagram and comparing
I am surprised something like that even works at all because any audio you get from it would just be pre-out level which is pretty low
could also be it is somehow creating a audio loop so if one speaker is not connected the others will not work, that would be like really old school when you had to ground each speaker with a super cheap head unit.
and.....
without knowing the history of the vehicle the rear speaker wires could be cut, shorted or who knows.....
you going to need to do a little more troubleshooting, first thing is to get 4 working speakers in it.

OP
OP
TheEnder53

TheEnder53

Reaction score
reviews are mixed on that thing
no bose?
could be a wire/s is not correct therefore not giving you rear audio also, no telling without looking at a wiring diagram and comparing
I am surprised something like that even works at all because any audio you get from it would just be pre-out level which is pretty low
could also be it is somehow creating a audio loop so if one speaker is not connected the others will not work, that would be like really old school when you had to ground each speaker with a super cheap head unit.
and.....
without knowing the history of the vehicle the rear speaker wires could be cut, shorted or who knows.....
you going to need to do a little more troubleshooting, first thing is to get 4 working speakers in it.
the interesting thing is that with it installed only front worked but the drivers side was significantly quieter than the passenger side. that still is happening now with an amp.

and yes, no bose, just 9 speaker factory system with sub and onstar.

i plan on getting new speakers from crutchfield, how would one go about testing the wiring? ohm meter? or what?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the interesting thing is that with it installed only front worked but the drivers side was significantly quieter than the passenger side. that still is happening now with an amp.

i plan on getting new speakers from crutchfield, how would one go about testing the wiring? ohm meter? or what?
ya if you can determine which wire is which you can just use a basic meter

Cort84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I have Bose and the same situation going on. I have checked the rear audio control and replaced it as that was when the audio went out on mine. This seems to be a wide issue with no clear answer. Have you resolved yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
68jay