Feature / build differences: MY2024 Suburban RST vs. Yukon XL SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rad92

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just registered on the site, and posted intro thread in the new member forum. My family is upgrading our 10-year-old minivan to full-size SUV, which we'll use for large-family / cargo hauling (exclusively with third-row up for seating), with occasional towing (probably less than 6000#s; about four times a year) on some road-trips. Based on where we live, most driving (even daily) is highway, in elevations from 3000-5000 feet.

We're currently considering either the Suburban RST or the Yukon XL SLT, both nicely equipped and almost identically priced, and would really appreciate any input on how they compare. We can judge the differences in look between the two on our own, and that's a pretty personal decision, so please ignore that.

In particular, we want to understand the feature differences between them, as well as any potential differences in build-quality or reliability (we understand how similar / identical they are in chassis, engine, transmission, etc).

Here's how we're spec'ing them out:

Suburban RST 4WD TurboDiesel (MY2024): $78,750 (including destination)
Packages / Options:
3.0L Duramax Turbo Diesel engine@ $995
Luxury Package @ $3,025
Panoramic power sunroof @ $1,500
Max Trailering Package @ $515
Power-release second row bucket seats @ $370
Trailer Tire Pressure and Temperature Sensors @ $50

Yukon XL SLT 4WD TurboDiesel (MY2024): $78,950 (including destination)
Packages / Options:
3.0L Duramax Turbo Diesel engine@ $995
SLT Premium Package @ $3,630 (GM discount from $4,030)
Max Trailering Package @ $515
Selected Paint @ $495
Power-release second row bucket seats @ $370
Trailer Tire Pressure and Temperature Sensors @ $50

As you can see, they're almost identical in price ($200 difference on $80k) purchase, and they have very similar options / packages (or at least as similar as can be spec'd out). Please help us better understand how they differ.

Additionally, do any of you know what is the cutoff date in order to still be able to place custom order for a MY2024 version of both makes/models? (Due to expected interior updates, we're not so interested in the MY2025 versions, even with the expected improvement in the Duramax.)

Thanks so much!

Edit to add: Aware of the thread from April, 2022, but not sure if much has changed in the couple years since then. From that thread, it doesn't appear that there are many differences at all between these two, perhaps just fog lamps and 20" vs. 22" wheels... Not sure about infotainment / audio differences, or the like. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will probably get several different opinions. If I was spending that much money I would find those two models on the Dealer lot, check Carmax as well, and go test drive both and then decide based on what “you” like and dislike about the two. Maybe have the family go with you and get their opinion as well since it will be a family vehicle. You can go on both GM sites and build both which will show you in detail what is included with each model. I always spend some time doing my own research before making a purchase. Good luck with your decision and I think you would be happy with either one.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my initial thought is that the RST would look better between the two - just my opinion.

fog lights and ventilated seats are the easy differences - notice no sunroof on your GMC build

probably a connected plan difference these days.

just went through buying a GMC half ton...pull the specs from each website and compare them side by side

OP
OP
R

rad92

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my initial thought is that the RST would look better between the two - just my opinion.

fog lights and ventilated seats are the easy differences - notice no sunroof on your GMC build

probably a connected plan difference these days.

just went through buying a GMC half ton...pull the specs from each website and compare them side by side

@todayusay: Great catch about the difference with ventilated seats, in addition to fog lamps. Didn't notice that one previously, but confirmed it now that you mentioned it.

As far as sunroof --- it's actually included in both builds: Suburban as individual option, and Yukon XL as part of premium package. So, no difference there. Thanks.

OP
OP
R

rad92

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You will probably get several different opinions. If I was spending that much money I would find those two models on the Dealer lot, check Carmax as well, and go test drive both and then decide based on what “you” like and dislike about the two. Maybe have the family go with you and get their opinion as well since it will be a family vehicle. You can go on both GM sites and build both which will show you in detail what is included with each model. I always spend some time doing my own research before making a purchase. Good luck with your decision and I think you would be happy with either one.

@todayusay: Great catch about the difference with ventilated seats, in addition to fog lamps. Didn't notice that one previously, but confirmed it now that you mentioned it.

As far as sunroof --- it's actually included in both builds: Suburban as individual option, and Yukon XL as part of premium package. So, no difference there. Thanks.

Appreciate the suggestions with both replies above to do virtual builds, and compare side-by-side. I've gone through that, but have found it difficult to capture every last difference between the two, since the Chevy & GMC websites use very different formats for presenting options, etc. My question here was really to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Also, while I've driven these cars with family, it's hard to find them in exact desired configuration on the lot where I live, so I can't primarily lean on in-person examination.

Thanks for helping me find additional differences.

TiGrayMSM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another difference, at least back in 2022, was that GMC offered OnStar service for three years as part of the purchase price. The Chevrolet "trial" period was significantly less... maybe 3 mo? If you plan on using these apps, it may be worth confirming.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suggest downloading window sticker from two on the lot models of very similar ilk, and read the standard features carefully.

I know on the Denali and AT4, you get 3 years of the Data, Onstar, etc, vs on the Chevy's you get 3 months...not sure on the lower GMC trims though.

Also, on the Denali and AT4, the front door glass is laminated for better sound deadening...not laminated on the Chevy...but not sure if this is only a Denli/AT4 thing or all the GMC models.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're currently considering either the Suburban RST or the Yukon XL SLT, both nicely equipped and almost identically priced, and would really appreciate any input on how they compare. We can judge the differences in look between the two on our own, and that's a pretty personal decision, so please ignore that.
It sounds to me like it's ONLY about the difference in the looks between the two, so that's how I would -- and did -- base my decision.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
back when we were looking at a Z71 and AT4 in 2021, my wife noticed the lack of ventilated seats on the Z71 in about 20 seconds. And that one was optioned about as well as you could build one. Ended up going with the AT4 and now we're in a "basic" Z71 with only the luxury package. Don't miss the whirrr of the ventilated seats...

gatorintx

Reaction score
The acoustic laminated front door glass is on the Yukon SLT, but not on the Suburban. This is a difference that you might notice if you test drive both. The other main difference will be the ventilated seats. And of course the trim/wheels - black trim and special wheels on the RST, but chrome trim and standard wheels on the SLT. RST also has the red stitching on the seats. No fog lights on the Suburban, if that matters to you, and the LED headlights on the Yukon. Any other differences will be pretty much cosmetic differences between Yukon and Suburban.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fireball17