Fix and Keep My 2015 GMC Yukon SLT or Get Rid of It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Thank You. I think I’m going to just take it to a Chevy or GMC dealer and have them quote me everything. Do what’s affordable and then for the big labor hour jobs I’ll pay my friend $50 an hour on the side But he’s a master bmw tech not GMC. I’ve realized you get what you pay for so I’m not going to try to skimp out. Even if I spend more and end up with $15000 in it I hope it’ll last my son and I at least six years
GMC dealership will rip you a new one find a mom and pop shop before you ever go to the dealership… a honest shop will help you out for the least amount possible and not just try to steal your money or up charge you 300% for parts you can get for a fraction of the price online
Breaks sound like their fine from your description And if not shocks are super easy to change on these suvs if you have any mechanical know how you can do it at home in a couple hours if even that long.
My ole girl has over 400,000 miles on her now she’s still going strong however I’ve had to do normal maintenance due to miles like alternator,radiator,heater hoses,calipers,fluid flush’s, plugs wires etc along with a new front end (ball joints tie rods wheel bearings) not all at once but over time after I had bought it and she had 247,000 miles when I first got it. Its a lot cheaper then a 1000$ car payment every month and the new suvs are shit cause of the dod stuff I see all the time on here brand new 90k+ vehicles with less then 30,000 miles having motors rebuilt due to lifters failing
In my opinion if she’s made it to 200,000 throw some love into her and you’ll be able to drive her for another 200,000 miles don’t be quick to jump the gun and AVOID THE DEALER once again unless you got more money then sense to spend because that’s what’s going to be the case when it comes to them… the shop I go to is a family owned one and they still smoke cigarettes in the back type way but they tell you what’s wrong and they fix just that nothing more nothing less their not there to get what they can out of you…

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Just know if the transmission or engine has not been replaced then you will have to replace soon. The engine is at the end of its life and the transmission is overdue. You are going to need 6-10k each. Sell it and get one with low miles and ask your dealer to get you a warranty power train contract.
My 5.3 with the dod lifters still in it just tuned out on the computer has over 400,000 miles
However the transmission is liable to go I think that year had the bad torque converter maybe have it flushed and inspect the fluid for wear or maybe get a billet converter installed but I wouldn’t worry about that at all until you actually have issues.
Black bear performance can send you a tune to disable the dod stuff aka 4cyl mode and that’ll help and adjusting the ship points in the tune will also help prolong the transmissions lifespan

OP
OP
B

BringTheNoise

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GMC dealership will rip you a new one find a mom and pop shop before you ever go to the dealership… a honest shop will help you out for the least amount possible and not just try to steal your money or up charge you 300% for parts you can get for a fraction of the price online
Breaks sound like their fine from your description And if not shocks are super easy to change on these suvs if you have any mechanical know how you can do it at home in a couple hours if even that long.
My ole girl has over 400,000 miles on her now she’s still going strong however I’ve had to do normal maintenance due to miles like alternator,radiator,heater hoses,calipers,fluid flush’s, plugs wires etc along with a new front end (ball joints tie rods wheel bearings) not all at once but over time after I had bought it and she had 247,000 miles when I first got it. Its a lot cheaper then a 1000$ car payment every month and the new suvs are shit cause of the dod stuff I see all the time on here brand new 90k+ vehicles with less then 30,000 miles having motors rebuilt due to lifters failing
In my opinion if she’s made it to 200,000 throw some love into her and you’ll be able to drive her for another 200,000 miles don’t be quick to jump the gun and AVOID THE DEALER once again unless you got more money then sense to spend because that’s what’s going to be the case when it comes to them… the shop I go to is a family owned one and they still smoke cigarettes in the back type way but they tell you what’s wrong and they fix just that nothing more nothing less their not there to get what they can out of you…
I work as part of a big dealership group and we have a Chevy dealership 500 feet from the dealership I work at. I get 30% off most AC Delco parts so after shopping the pricing I get at work around on the internet I realized it’s a pretty good deal to get the parts through the dealership or at least most of the suspension components I did get Billstein 5100 shocks and struts over the ac delco ones though.

OP
OP
B

BringTheNoise

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 5.3 with the dod lifters still in it just tuned out on the computer has over 400,000 miles
However the transmission is liable to go I think that year had the bad torque converter maybe have it flushed and inspect the fluid for wear or maybe get a billet converter installed but I wouldn’t worry about that at all until you actually have issues.
Black bear performance can send you a tune to disable the dod stuff aka 4cyl mode and that’ll help and adjusting the ship points in the tune will also help prolong the transmissions lifespan
I plan on getting that four cylinder mode overridden. A guy at our dealership has the ability to do it. He told me he’d charge me $150.

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
I plan on getting that four cylinder mode overridden. A guy at our dealership has the ability to do it. He told me he’d charge me $150.
That’s not bad but the labor rate they charge is mainly what I was getting at. I do ALL my own work myself and so has my father in law who has a 05 suburban with over 400,000 on her also
He’s in his 70s now though so I try to help him now a days when stuff goes wrong but shit he’s never changed nothing on his suburban at all besides a starter a couple water bumps brake pads and tires! Pretty sure she’s still got the original plugs and wires on the SOB he’s definitely the type who “don’t fix it unless it’s broke” I’m the preventative maintenance type and he gives me hell all the time about it but I drive my Tahoe 4-6 hr at a time every wensday so I’d rather know I’m good then get broke down in the middle of nowhere

OP
OP
B

BringTheNoise

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s not bad but the labor rate they charge is mainly what I was getting at. I do ALL my own work myself and so has my father in law who has a 05 suburban with over 400,000 on her also
He’s in his 70s now though so I try to help him now a days when stuff goes wrong but shit he’s never changed nothing on his suburban at all besides a starter a couple water bumps brake pads and tires! Pretty sure she’s still got the original plugs and wires on the SOB he’s definitely the type who “don’t fix it unless it’s broke” I’m the preventative maintenance type and he gives me hell all the time about it but I drive my Tahoe 4-6 hr at a time every wensday so I’d rather know I’m good then get broke down in the middle
He’s in his 70s now though so I try to help him now a days when stuff goes wrong but shit he’s never changed nothing on his suburban at all besides a starter a couple water bumps brake pads and tires! Pretty sure she’s still got the original plugs and wires on the SOB he’s definitely the type who “don’t fix it unless it’s broke” I’m the preventative maintenance type and he gives me hell all the time about it but I drive my Tahoe 4-6 hr at a time every wensday so I’d rather know I’m good then get broke down in the middle of nowhere
Thank You for your advice and experience. My friends Dad has like 350k on his 06 Burban and he just adds oil to it, brakes, and it won’t die.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purtteman