Fosscore's 2006 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow...cant believe thats the same truck..well done !

Thx man. Sometimes I can't believe it either when I look at throwback stock pictures. That's why this thread is good. Gives me a chance to do write ups with lots of pictures and catalog the build for future reference.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed my 3rd brake light had a light out the other night. Hit up Amazon Prime and a new one was on my door step on Sunday for $40.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Solutions-923-203-Chevrolet-Mounted/dp/B000TYQB14

This Dorman replacement unit comes with an extra pigtail that was not needed as the OEM wire and plug was in perfect condition. Fitment into the rubber boot, the 2 screw holes, the plug and above the rear window applique' is perfect. The brightness of the LEDs is much brighter than the OEM unit. The pictures speak for themselves. The unit is made in India, so hopefully it lasts as long as the OEM unit.

Dorman and OEM with included pigtail.
IMG_6665.JPG

OEM daytime.
IMG_6667.JPG

Dorman daytime.
IMG_6666.JPG

OEM nighttime.
IMG_6676.JPG

Dorman nighttime.
IMG_6675.JPG

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This week, I tracked down all the old service records from the 2 local Chevrolet dealerships in town that my previous employer (whom I bought the truck from in Feb 2013 after driving it for work since Nov 2009) had service performed at since January 2006. I found out a lot of additional info and work done to the truck that I never knew had been done. Quite interesting. I've been compiling a master file of all service records and modifications receipts with monies spent to date on the truck. I'm still working on organizing the invoices in chronological order and adding up the totals. It will be a good file to have on hand should the time arise to sell it or pass it along to my son. I have the original bill of sale and window sticker as well. Cost out the door in January 2006 was around $32K for a Tahoe LS 2WD 4.8L with upgraded leather and 16 inch wheels.

I made a run to the junkyard today just to see if there was anything worth picking off the wrecks since it was a beautiful day. Found an NBS Escalade and Suburban with a few small parts to pull off.

1. Escalade windshield end cowl covers to get the passenger side one since it does not have an antenna hole cut out. I tucked the antenna into the engine bay a long time ago. Direct swap and in great condition. Gave it a quick wash and popped it into place. Now I have two complete sets.

2. Escalade spare tire rear bumper lock cylinder cover door since mine was the textured black plastic version and the Escalade one is smooth.
I gave it a quick sand already and will be color matching it. I forgot to do this with the other parts I sent to the painters.

3. Escalade rear a/c heater climate temperature control face plate from the overhead console. I broke off two tabs from my Tahoe OEM unit when I removed the console to paint it when I redid the headliner and it has never fit correctly since then. Direct swap and only a slight difference in the graphics on the face plate.

4. Escalade roof rack center mounting posts x 2. Someone snatched the roof rack, but forgot the posts, figured they might be worth having or helping out some TYF member some day.

5. Suburban rear subwoofer box that goes under the rear driver window in the jack space. It is a touch bigger and slightly different configuration than the Tahoe version, but I have some ideas to see if I can get it to fit in that void behind the panel. Be fun to mess around with it anyways as it is in perfect condition.

I was out the door for $25. Not bad for some spare parts and a few extra screws and clips in hand.

Tahoe OEM end cowl piece with antenna hole.
IMG_6718.JPG

Escalade OEM end cowl piece without antenna hole.
IMG_6720.JPG

Escalade spare tire rear bumper lock cylinder cover door, rear a/c heater climate temperature control face plate and Suburban rear subwoofer box.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Tahoe OEM vs Escalade OEM rear a/c heater climate temperature control face plate.
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
Did I read correctly that you have another escalade cowl cover for the antenna?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After picking up some spare parts at the junk yard earlier in the week, I was able to put them on the truck this weekend.

I color matched the spare tire rear bumper lock cylinder cover door and I took off the license plate lights and color matched them as well.

I sprayed off the hood heat shield with some fresh water to rinse it out and then gave it a good coat of black spray paint and put it back in place after it had completely dried out in the sun.

I replaced my Tahoe OEM rear a/c heater climate temperature control face plate with the Escalade one because of the 2 broken clips in the back that would not hold it properly in place in the overhead console. Now it fits tight again. Direct swap with Tahoe unit and knobs.

Looking around the engine bay for something else to clean, I decided to paint my alternator. I pulled out a couple of small artist brushes and went to town with some Rustoleum Flat Black paint. I think it looks pretty good for having done it in place and gets rid of that horrible oxidized look. There's nothing flashy in my engine compartment so I decided not to use gloss black, but think the flat black blends nicely with the rest of the compartment.

I pulled off my CAI and sprayed the chrome end cap with some gloss black spray paint as it had a bit of rust on the end that I could not polish out. I think it looks much better now in black vs. the chrome end cap that it came with. Again nothing too flashy in my engine compartment and blends in better than just the one piece of chrome.

IMG_6743.JPG FullSizeRender-1.jpg IMG_6767.JPG IMG_6770.JPG FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwaneM