Fosscore's 2006 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this was getting bumped because you started working on your retro?

Doverpoint

Reaction score
Wanted to update my current mods list to date.

January 2016.
73700 miles.

2006 Tahoe LS 4.8L

Exterior Mods
  • Cadillac Escalade Chrome Roof Luggage Rack (cross rails removed and color matched end caps)
  • Cadillac Escalade Rear Vent Caps/Appliques (color matched)
  • De-Badged
  • De-Molded
  • FM Antenna Deleted (hidden inside engine bay)
  • OnStar Antenna Deleted
  • Rear Wiper Deleted
  • Front Lower Air Deflector Deleted
  • 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Hood
  • Color Matched Parts (Dark Ming Blue Metallic)
    • Grill
    • Front Bumper Cap
    • Front Bumper
    • Front Lower Valance
    • Rear Bumper
    • Rear Liftgate Applique
    • Door Handles
    • Mirrors
    • Bowtie (matches silver TBSS wheels)
  • Depo Chrome Projector Headlights (not retrofitted)
  • eBay Clear LED Parking Lights (non-amber)
  • Spyder LED Tail lights (with LED reverse lights)
  • 5% Tint on All Windows and 5% Windshield Strip
  • 24x10 TBSS Wheels, Silver Machine Face w/ AC Delco TPMS
  • 295/35/24 Nexen Rodian HP Tires
  • Power Stop K2015 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotors Brake Kit (calipers painted Duplicolor Silver)
Interior Mods
  • Replaced ALL Interior Lights with "Cool White" LEDs
  • Replaced OEM Pewter Headliner with Dark Grey
  • Replaced OEM Pewter Carpet with Dark Grey
  • Custom Carpet Floor Mats w/ Black Bowtie Outline on Front Mats
  • Painted Speaker Grilles Black
  • Replaced Driver Seat Bottom Leather

Suspension Mods
  • NORCAL SS CUSTOM 3/5-6 Tahoe Lowering Kit
  • Front DJM 3 Inch A Arms
  • Front Belltech Street Performance Shocks
  • Rear NORCAL SS Custom 6" Springs
  • Rear Belltech 1-inch spacers (removed)
  • Rear DJM hardware kit
    • Trailing Arms
    • End Links
    • Shock Extenders
  • Rear Belltech Street Performance Shocks
  • DJM Free Travel Mod
  • Spohn Adjustable Panhard Bar
  • Airlift Helper Bags 60742
  • Rear Urethane Bump Stops
  • Front Ground to Fender Lip 32 7/8""
  • Rear Ground to Fender Lip 33 1/8"
Performance Mods
  • Black Bear Performance Tune, 93 Octane (in person)
  • K&N 57 Series FIPK Air Intake
  • Flowmaster Super 50 Series Muffler

Audio Upgrades
  • JVC KW-HDR81BT Double Din Head Unit
  • JL Audio XD700/5 Class D 5-Channel Amp
  • JL Audio Stealthbox 10W3v3-2 Subwoofer, (under center console)
  • Phoenix Gold Ti65cs 6.5 inch Components, Front
  • Phoenix Gold Ti6CX 6.5 inch, Rear
How are the painted calipers holding up? Has the heat darkened the paint? I am thinking about painting mine the same color as yours.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Doverpoint

Here are a couple pics of the front and rear right hand side calipers. The calipers and rotors are both looking pretty good for 1 year later. For me, they could use a touch up, but they still look great. I still need to touch up the rest of the suspension components, but all in good time.

Front right.
IMG_7302.JPG

Front right.
IMG_7303.JPG

Front right.
IMG_7304.JPG

Right rear.
IMG_7305.JPG

Right rear.
IMG_7306.JPG

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered another $4.59 pack of blue LEDs to go with the set of front door courtesy lights that I found for $11 at the junkyard last week.

I had originally pried open the white and red courtesy light lense when I first installed the white T10/194 base LED into the plug and superglued them back together. Somewhere along the line, the passenger side red reflector went missing and the driver side LED had popped out of the socket and was just rattling around inside the sealed light. Grrr... (Online prices ranged from $10-$30 for one light, so it was worth waiting for the junkyard to find the pair for cheap.)

The light faces were not quite new looking, so I used some 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound, Step 1 and finished it off with some 3M Perfect-It Machine Polish, Step 2 to bring back the gloss. Still not a brand new part, but for such small piece that only I will look at, it is good enough. This time with 2 sealed units, I decided not to crack the lenses open. I used a pencil wrapped with some sticky 80 grit sandpaper and gently wallowed out the round part of the hole to accommodate the head of the LED light.

I plugged in the light, pushed it through the hole, snapped the clip in place to the light and slid it back into the door opening. Done. A small, but long awaited victory fixing those little courtesy lights. The little things.

Before wallowing out the hole. I forgot to take a pic of the slightly modified hole,
but both of the rounded parts of the cut out are just a little bigger to fit the LED light head.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Showing the LED head size relative to the opening in the courtesy light housing. Looks bigger
in this picture, but in reality there is only a little bit of sanding needed to make it fit.

The black clip slides into place and "clicks" in on either square side.
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

IMG_7347.JPG

IMG_7348.JPG

74115 miles.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's the retro coming along?

osiris94ej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered another $4.59 pack of blue LEDs to go with the set of front door courtesy lights that I found for $11 at the junkyard last week.

I had originally pried open the white and red courtesy light lense when I first installed the white T10/194 base LED into the plug and superglued them back together. Somewhere along the line, the passenger side red reflector went missing and the driver side LED had popped out of the socket and was just rattling around inside the sealed light. Grrr... (Online prices ranged from $10-$30 for one light, so it was worth waiting for the junkyard to find the pair for cheap.)

The light faces were not quite new looking, so I used some 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound, Step 1 and finished it off with some 3M Perfect-It Machine Polish, Step 2 to bring back the gloss. Still not a brand new part, but for such small piece that only I will look at, it is good enough. This time with 2 sealed units, I decided not to crack the lenses open. I used a pencil wrapped with some sticky 80 grit sandpaper and gently wallowed out the round part of the hole to accommodate the head of the LED light.

I plugged in the light, pushed it through the hole, snapped the clip in place to the light and slid it back into the door opening. Done. A small, but long awaited victory fixing those little courtesy lights. The little things.

Before wallowing out the hole. I forgot to take a pic of the slightly modified hole,
but both of the rounded parts of the cut out are just a little bigger to fit the LED light head.
View attachment 60596

Showing the LED head size relative to the opening in the courtesy light housing. Looks bigger
in this picture, but in reality there is only a little bit of sanding needed to make it fit.

The black clip slides into place and "clicks" in on either square side.
View attachment 60597

View attachment 60594

View attachment 60595

74115 miles.

You can use a Uni-bit drill bit to open up the socket of those lenses so the larger head of the led bulb will fit in. I have done this to my last 6 trucks this way and have yet to have any issues. No need to remove the lenses to put bulb in and glue back together.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yessir. That would have been much easier, however wanting to get them installed and not having a large enough bit handy at the time meant manual sandpaper and pencil labor.

Task accomplished and working great. Thx man.

osiris94ej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yessir. That would have been much easier, however wanting to get them installed and not having a large enough bit handy at the time meant manual sandpaper and pencil labor.

Task accomplished and working great. Thx man.

Not a problem just throwing that out there just in case you have a bulb go bad and need to replace it.

Also checked in this thread through searching for anyone who has retrofitted the DEPO headlights. This thread popped up in my searching. Nice Tahoe i like what you have done with it, Really want the Escalade vents and the 05+ rear hatch glass cover, my 04 doesn't have this.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Footwell light Foss !!!! Get some. 20 minute mod
Got mine from a salvage yard for free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daddsyukon