Fosscore's 2006 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I mean it's like "what else is there to do..." :D

Go ahead and get you some Depo's and do it yourself. Learn from it!

Depos are on there now, just haven't gone down the retrofit road yet... And the teacher once again imparts the wisdom of previous experience. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that would be some pressure, trying to mod something as precise as a retrofit to go on one of your trucks. That would have to be some top notch QC. :)

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a few more parts at the junkyard the other day.

Changed out the rear liftgate pull handle as mine was almost cracked in half at the loop. Gave it a good clean and installed a like new part.
$7 for the handle.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Changed out both front driver and passenger kick plates as mine had the tabs broken off and they never seated perfectly over the new carpet.
Both kick plates just needed a serious Magic Eraser and Spray 9/Simple Green combo clean before a coat of 303 and installation. Condition was as good as the ones I had on there. No scuffs or scars in the plastic.
$18.50 for both.
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Pulled off the rear bump stops and cut off the top 3 layers, leaving about 1.5 inches from the axle pad/base of the bump stop. Have been meaning to do this to give the rear a bit more travel, but just never carved out the time. Should ride a bit better now with some gap between the bump stop and the frame.

Bump stop installed before being cut down.
IMG_5125.jpeg

Bump stop after cutting off the top 3 layers. Amazing how tough these bump stops are. They have taken some hard hits and only a transfer of paint from the frame shows up on them. No fatigue or marring was present when I removed them.
IMG_7146.JPG

Installed after cutting off the top 3 layers.
IMG_7148.JPG

Travieso

Boooooooost !
Reaction score
I have mine that haven't been installed, I think I've had them for more then 4 years when i first dropped the truck, I gotta look underneath to see where I could put them at.. I think i have the dish type like this
8167zNU77hL._SX522_.jpg

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this shape originally, but the shop misplaced them the first go round, so the multi-layered ones were the ones I received last summer.

search.jpg

Put them on the axle pad as shown in the picture above. It's a little tight getting the lock washer and nut on, but a good, secure place with the extra travel especially after the free travel mod is done.

Travieso

Boooooooost !
Reaction score
isn't their a hole already in there? or did you have to drill one to put the new bumpstops? Like I said it's been a while since I've crawled down there.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a hole already there. I had a shop do the original installation. I removed the bump stop with the truck on the ground and it is a tight fit under there as you know. Getting the 14mm wrench and my hand in that tight spot to loosen the nut, especially on the driver's side with the gas tank took a bit longer than planned.

My setup has a lock washer and regular nut vs. a nylon nut. Good idea until I cranked down on the nut and compressed the lock washer a bit too far thus making the bolt come down closer to the axle. This would normally be a good practice to ensure a tight fit. However, I couldn't pull the wrench back out as it was stuck under the bolt from the bump stop and the axle. Literally by a thread. And you only have about 1/4 turn on the wrench to loosen or tighten the bolt and a socket will not fit.

It took a little extra channel lock work and hand turning to loosen the bump stop off of that lock washer and high enough to release the wrench. Then I just hand tightened it. At least I know the lock washer is doing its job and won't let the bump stop vibrate off. Just thought I'd share that little tidbit before you get under there and crank down on that nut and get your wrench stuck.

@Travieso

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cmfarr21