front axel not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eagle00799

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,I will describe the problem the best i can in hopes you all can give me yopur opinion. I have a 97 Yukon, when i put the tranny in neutral and push 4hi all i hear is a click behind the dash and the light just blinks without stopping, when i try 4lo i feel a clunk that feels like the front axel engaging but it doesnt and the light keeps blinking. I also tryed grounding number 13 pin and i get nothing at all,lights of off and dont flash at all. any suggestions??

LI99HOE

Top Notch Tech.
Reaction score
It sounds like possibly a faulty motor/encoder or transfer case control module.
Maybe even the switch.... which are easy enough to just replace. Or if your handy...... especially with a soldering iron,
you could pop apart the switch and look at the solder joints to see if any look bad and re-solder them.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you are hearing the transfer case doing it thing. unfortunately it is not completing the drive-train transformation. the tcase is most likely doing it thing with one exception and that is the electric screw in ball switch on the case that gets bumped by a sector cam inside may be broken or the cam may be worn out. that switch provides power to the front axle actuator another issue is that the actuator may have bursted its gas chamber (TSB on it) and finally the switch that provides feedback to the controller and eventually the status light that the front axle has completed it task.

If you have an ammeter rated at 10 amp remove the #24 4wd fuse and put the ammeter terminal it it place. push the 4wd high or low and observe the results if the amps stays on remove the actuator for testing directcly on the battery. if no amps the tcase switch may be broke. if the amps are there temporarily while the the shift is doing its thing the sector cam might be worn. If you get the amps and the actuator is good chances are the feedback switch or shift fork in the front axle may have broke.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

I am suffering from the sector cam issue so with 245k miles on it I plan on overhauling it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou