Front differential mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Glisella

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the new mounts today, about 40 minutes to put both mounts on and then mount up the differential on both sides.

Took it for a ride and clunk I had is gone completely. To best explain it, intermittently when I'd get on it I'd get this clunk. Didn't matter if 15 mph or 75. If I'd give it some gas to pass someone on highway or push down on pedal to go up a hill it would happen. Sometimes I'd get it when braking hard to a complete stop, like if I was going 40 and came up to a light that changed to red quickly. As the vehicle would rock back from the full stop I'd hear the clunk. It makes sense to me now after seeing condition of old mounts and how they hold the differential, when giving gas or the sudden deceleration to a stop causes movement with the rubber bushings shot it was metal on metal and therefore clunk.

I'm happy for now. Another part coming next week to swap out.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't it GREAT not to hear the clunk? I also found that my driving habits had changed a bit to the more conservative side over the period that I had the clunk, in that I would try 'not' to do anything to make it clunk. Now, without the clunk, I am free to drive more spirited (and lose another 1+mpg on gas, but who cares).

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Isn't it GREAT not to hear the clunk? I also found that my driving habits had changed a bit to the more conservative side over the period that I had the clunk, in that I would try 'not' to do anything to make it clunk. Now, without the clunk, I am free to drive more spirited (and lose another 1+mpg on gas, but who cares).
The difference in my driving styles amounts to about 4-5 mpg. LOl!

OP
OP
Glisella

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Same, I was definitely driving differently to minimize the clunking.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever try the moog equivalent?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the thread necro but I just finished this job on my 2007 Yukon XL Denali with 215K on the clock and wanted to provide a little more detail:

-The passenger side comes out relatively easily
-The drivers side takes a lot more finagling, but I found that if I left the mount-to-diff bolts on the passenger side off, and kept downward pressure on the diff itself (and sometimes rocking it up and down), I could eventually work the drivers side mount out toward the FRONT. The new one went in the same way the old one came out.
-For both, the front-most bolt must be held with a ratchet + long extension from above, so I needed my son to hold the ratchet while I loosened/tightened those bolts from below. The one on the drivers side required a short wobble extension on the bottom to fit snugly on the bolt head. For the rearmost bolts, I was able to hold the top of the bolt from below with a ratchet and a 15mm socket while loosening the nut.

It solved about 90% of my clunking when going from coasting to accelerating. There is still a small clunk but that's likely the transfer case as there's a ton of play in the chain. There used to be a bang with the clunk and the clunk was much stronger previously. Well worth the 90 minute time investment to do it. I used OEM AC Delco parts from Rock Auto.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the thread necro but I just finished this job on my 2007 Yukon XL Denali with 215K on the clock and wanted to provide a little more detail:

-The passenger side comes out relatively easily
-The drivers side takes a lot more finagling, but I found that if I left the mount-to-diff bolts on the passenger side off, and kept downward pressure on the diff itself, I could eventually work the drivers side mount out toward the FRONT. The new one went in the same way the old one came out.
-For both, the front-most bolt must be held with a ratchet + long extension from above, so I needed my son to hold the ratchet while I loosened/tightened those bolts from below. The one on the drivers side required a short wobble extension on the bottom to fit snugly on the bolt head. For the rearmost bolts, I was able to hold the top of the bolt from below with a ratchet and a 15mm socket while loosening the nut.

It solved about 90% of my clunking when going from coasting to accelerating. There is still a small clunk but that's likely the transfer case as there's a ton of play in the chain. There used to be a bang with the clunk and the clunk was much stronger previously. Well worth the 90 minute time investment to do it. I used OEM AC Delco parts from Rock Auto.
Thank you for posting. Great to read your success story and the detail on exactly how you executed the replacement project. This is great info for folks who need to replace these mounts in the future.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
This should be tied to a sticky and completed with motor mount replacement. Down the road this may show as a cure to short lived mounts we’ve blamed on what may have seemed like low quality mounts.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
these are really easy if you have the front axle out. :jester:

I did mine while i had the oil pan off, not too bad.

If you ever remove the front axle, remember to remove the cross member and use tiedown straps to compress the cv shafts so they stay out of the way.
That makes reinstalling the front axle a breeze. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tanderson1985