Front Lip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atalakoub

Reaction score
Not sure what it is called, but i have managed to catch the lip under the bumper on a few things already. Anyone remove this and have pictures? Is there a good reason for it?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 57

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd call it an air dam. There are some folks here who have removed it (or cut it, even). Personally, I'd rather tag IT on something than the painted front fascia. Also, I don't like the looks without it (on standard height and lowered trucks) -- looks too high in the front without it, imo.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd call it an air dam. There are some folks here who have removed it (or cut it, even). Personally, I'd rather tag IT on something than the painted front fascia. Also, I don't like the looks without it (on standard height and lowered trucks) -- looks too high in the front without it, imo.

I'd sand that sucker down and paint it color matched if I had a black tahoe.. unfortunately mine is white and it would look terrible because then the front of the truck would appear (illusion of course) that it was lower....

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
engine cooling????? please explain

i plan on cutting mine when i put my leveling kit and new tires on...but sorry no pics so it doesnt help

there are some guys on here with them cut off...look it the "offroad/z71" section under some of the leveling kit threads

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock Tahoe with it taken/broken off. I'll take some pictures. It looks like crap with it taken off just because the tabs it's mounted to stick out. You can shave the tabs, but then it's irreversible.

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be more than happy to explain my statement about engine cooling. When in the design phase cars are put through wind tunnel testing. Most believe it is to see how aerodynamic the vehicle is and that is all. These tests also go much deeper into engineering performance. We all depend on air to flow through the front grill to cool the radiator fins as well as oil coolers that also may be mounted there. We also depend on this frontal air for combustion. When the vehicle is moving air is flowing all around it just like the airfoil of a wing. Some areas are positive pressure and some are negative pressure. The area in question (bottom of ther bumper) is one with a high positive pressure; in fact so much so that it can cause "back pressure" in the engine compartment and thus reduce actual frontal engine cooling. The air dam is engineered to break up that air and actually cause a negative pressure behind it. This negative pressure area allows the air movement to be faster through the grill area thus increasing engine cooling. It's not the air that cools our engines but the fluid that is cooled by the air and then pumped throughout the internal regions of the engine that cools.

That said, it also serves to tell us to stop; that there is something under the front, that should we decide to proceed the next sound we hear won't be quite so nice. Lastly if when you pulled into the parking space and heard no sound but when you are leaving you hear it catch......well that is telling you that you stayed too long at the "all you can eat" buffet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcqkslvr