Transmission output shaft seal/bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
Yes, they're different - you are looking to replace the extension housing's bushing and seal, correct?

If so, the first link is for purchasing a new OEM extension housing bushing. The 2nd link is for purchasing the OEM style shrouded extension housing seal. The third link contains a combo pack that comes with both the bushing and the seal.

Hope that clears up any confusion for you.
It’s the bearing at the rear of the transmission that the drive shaft slides into. All the videos I’ve seen only shows a single part/bearing.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s the bearing at the rear of the transmission that the drive shaft slides into. All the videos I’ve seen only shows a single part/bearing.
Reply with a link here to one of these videos because I'd like to know what you're seeing/talking about. There is no bearing in the back of any 4L60E, 2WD or 4WD. You have a seal and a bushing, both of which @OR VietVet provided you the correct links to purchase. Either you have a different transmission in your vehicle or are hopelessly overthinking this and/or watching the wrong videos.

OP
OP
D

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
Reply with a link here to one of these videos because I'd like to know what you're seeing/talking about. There is no bearing in the back of any 4L60E, 2WD or 4WD. You have a seal and a bushing, both of which @OR VietVet provided you the correct links to purchase. Either you have a different transmission in your vehicle or are hopelessly overthinking this and/or watching the wrong videos.
The ones I watched had a transfer case but figured it was similar. From what I gather the shaft should slide out and the seal just pops out with a screwdriver.

Do you have a link to a video?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You do unbolt the driveshaft at the rear diff and slide it out at the front. Make sure to mark the rear of the driveshaft where it bolts at the rear diff yoke so that you reattach at the same position. You need to inspect the outer surface of the front yoke, that slides inside the seal surface, and make sure it is smooth and not scratched or gouged up from the old bushing. Then use a seal puller or a flat blade screwdriver to pry the old seal out and make sure to take care to not damage the end of the seal mount area. Then you will need a special bushing puller tool to pull the old bushing and install that same bushing.

This is what the puller looks like: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256633270452?_skw=transmission+tailshaft+bushing+tool&itmmeta=01J992KB3KCRZ502AZ6E0F8PXE&hash=item3bc088f0b4:g:1o4AAOSw~HNm10b~&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAABAHoV3kP08IDx+KZ9MfhVJKmpYU8T2HQtYr2s7ma0Wbk/iWYiyp+23uVdj5S0LNz4lrO3KoEhmaTAROtlh2DdY7a7os0mqGhOCb7Jc2Pd7ctrqAMCEwfADdhzUKcwRFaz6uje1h6/wCzcU3FwMKJ3WNqUE80GTz0gE8vD/q0tmkGR8oeEr4pJZL0D9+JtdsXJrDZQacexISiVD4PuY0cVn0ib9WXjoUzthCXYSoFZWiFdaXQQc+a2t6huBu3JgdLogwazKRDzJUyNVj50dI64itb17pBh5hXWg+nLMupYT0B7FiEUmAb3Gt9ZOgxxe0pm7EMGZlnhXt8ynZUzZaEuIXY=|tkp:Bk9SR_KxzaLKZA

The puller and installer look like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/226302084896?_skw=transmission+tailshaft+bushing+tool&itmmeta=01J992KB3KM0BNSPXT9MTBWBB9&hash=item34b0a7c720:g:AEcAAOSwTpJmxFVp&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAABAHoV3kP08IDx+KZ9MfhVJKnMbTuQrRpHBNL3IH5Wgq1QChI+s/Em6KQOH2UtOhVc3L0pRchzlav02v/z1Z3f3iV5YBgBrLHe7P1lzKxOn1gQdhVX7WBorRN/sQxB/MxEYdpBb3Fs7PlesGhdYQFtVzwq4sCSXANmwqlG4pTK83DuorelEfxcAsfhCOc6oQGZ4A6Hx/QVnscXC4fh2L6vlgkzI0DXkqswVQMB9p9eIwhCA5qpxoVzRVtDWSJB8VENGpi6Oj8dsQYzSYuuntfwywOkKuJtzpl5YGIr2tgT6UBJOM5lepii054VziFTD0syyIa/NFWgFSsEyo7ZNteWkDE=|tkp:Bk9SR_KxzaLKZA

I would bet that a parts store will not likely have these tools for loan or rental.

If I am wrong about any of this, @NickTransmissions will let us know.

Look at some you tube videos to get an idea of what steps to take.

I never asked, how do you know that the bushing needs to be replaced? Take pics of the front slip yoke when you pull it out of the bushing/seal.

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones I watched had a transfer case but figured it was similar. From what I gather the shaft should slide out and the seal just pops out with a screwdriver.

Why did you figure it was similar? If you were watching vids showing driveshaft removal from a T-case but you're working with a 2WD extension housing, why did you automatically assume they were the same? I'm asking because I can't emphasize enough to you and/or any other DYI'ers reading this how risky/costly assumptions can be...In this case, it only cost myself and @OR VietVet some time posting links and responses so good on you for asking but don't ever just assume.

I'll do a video and post it here in a bit because I just so happen to be going back together with a 2WD 4L60E (2005 unit) and at the point where I have to r/r the bushing and install a new seal into the extension housing.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go, man. Definitely watch this as I encountered a problem that I had to 'solve' on the spot and I was able to do it given my ample supply of spare parts...But I'm glad I filmed this because it shows you not only what the job entails but also something that, while not common at all by any stretch of the imagination, does happen every once in a while.

The video won't be visible/available on the channel itself until early next week but you can watch it via here as often as you'd like (same for anyone else).

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Loved the video. I have taken the tail housing off like this and is easier but if you do, then you have to support the transmission body because the mount is disconnected. Also, no need for the special tools I supplied the links for. You do want to have a good seal/bushing driver like shown in the video.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved the video. I have taken the tail housing off like this and is easier but if you do, then you have to support the transmission body because the mount is disconnected. Also, no need for the special tools I supplied the links for. You do want to have a good seal/bushing driver like shown in the video.
Thanks, @OR VietVet ... Hopefully it helps @diezelraccoon with the info he's looking for...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcqkslvr

Latest posts