Fuel Economy....

what's the best MPG you've EVER gotten with your 5.3 Tahoe/Yukon?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macoyle

Reaction score
Holy old thread batman! Anyways some of the previous posts about the 4.8 getting better mileage is crap, a smaller odor working harder will use more fuel than a larger motor working easier.

To the guy getting 12 mpg on the highway there is something wrong unless your loaded down towing, stuck in 3rd gear, etc. was that hand calculated or the computer? What size tires are you running?

Your mileage now will be lower than summer mileage because of the different fuel, slush or snow and warming the car up etc.

Reaction score
Holy old thread batman! Anyways some of the previous posts about the 4.8 getting better mileage is crap, a smaller odor working harder will use more fuel than a larger motor working easier.

To the guy getting 12 mpg on the highway there is something wrong unless your loaded down towing, stuck in 3rd gear, etc. was that hand calculated or the computer? What size tires are you running?

Your mileage now will be lower than summer mileage because of the different fuel, slush or snow and warming the car up etc.

No slush, Snow, towing or cargo
4 passengers (2 pre-teens + 2 adults)
Stock size tires and wheels
2200 - 2600 Rpm.
this POS cruises 60mph @ 2000 rpm flat road and empty.:(

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I barely got her, took it on 50 mile highway, about 10 miles on street, then 50 coming back (highway).. I started of with 3/4 tank, after the whole trip ended up with a little under half (around 3/8 of fuel left).... I was doing average 70mph to destination, and on my way back (aroung 12 am) I was doing 80mph average.. Never felt like I was forcing her either, even when I hit 100 and stayed at 90 for a couple miles.. This was my first trip and I wasn't worrying too much on mpg's (for now).... I was just VERY happy with my 'Hoe :burnout:
.....Don't know what It'll be like once I go for 33"s though...

Macoyle

Reaction score
No slush, Snow, towing or cargo
4 passengers (2 pre-teens + 2 adults)
Stock size tires and wheels
2200 - 2600 Rpm.
this POS cruises 60mph @ 2000 rpm flat road and empty.:(

Your Rpms are pretty high for 60, I wonder what gear ratio you have, or if it was regeared before you bought it to 4:10's possibly

erikrichard

Reaction score
Mine has 3:73 gears, and is 2000 rpms at 73mph, you must have 4:11 gears. I avg 18 mpg hwy with 3 adults or just myself. Instead of calling it a pos maybe you should change the gearing?

Reaction score
Check the rpo codes in your glovebox

ill try to take a picture of it in a little bit

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Mine has 3:73 gears, and is 2000 rpms at 73mph, you must have 4:11 gears. I avg 18 mpg hwy with 3 adults or just myself. Instead of calling it a pos maybe you should change the gearing?

Already looking into this.

BTW the truck looks bone stock EVERYWHERE.

fuzzyimage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Once got over 21 mpg coming back from San Diego to Phoenix at 75. Granted there was a heck of a wind at my back. On there way there with wind at the front, I got closer to 11 mpg. It was a strong wind for sure.

Reaction score

As i posted on the other thread
just found out this truck has 4.10s the tire size is 265-65-18
I wonder how much taller i can go on the tire size KEEPING the OE wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968