Fuel Filter #@&*$&

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redhoe01

The BDG
Reaction score
usually you can just slide the filter out from back to front and not have to mess with the clips. Just my experience on previous chevys. Havent done my hoe yet.

dmperfection

Reaction score
I've replaced the fuel filter in my '02 Tahoe many times (approx. every 9K miles, since my fuel pump went out at 43K miles). Anyway, pretty simple, shouldn't take longer than twenty minutes (including time to raise up in the air, and dropping). Pop the hood, remove the screw cap on the fuel pressure valve at the fuel rail; using a small screwdriver, carefully press in on the valve while using a rag to soak up any fuel the comes out (you'll usually get a small spray of fuel); pressure relieved. Slide uder the driver's side; break the lines loose first (wrenches fit in there fine...use line wrenches if you have them...you'll get a better bite on the filter and line....don't want to screw up any lines or threads). Hold one end of the filter with one wrench, and use a second to loosen the fuel line. Don't loosen the lines too much at this point, or you're likely to get a mouthful of fuel drip down (like it happened to me the first time I tried this). Loosen up the bracket (no need to completely remove), finish off removing the lines (you'll need a couple of rags to soak up residual fuel from the lines and filter). With a little bit of wiggling, the filter slides out. Get your new filter ready to install. Double check that both your lines have a rubber "O" ring on each end...if one side doesn't, check the inside of the old filter....it may have gotten stuck on the inside....chances are, the "O" rings willl be on the lines...but you'll want to doublebcheck anyway. Slide the new filter into the bracket, and start your lines by hand, as far as you can go...you may have to wiggle the filter a bit to keep turning the line....if you feel any tightness right away, back off and make sure the line is screwing in straight. Once you have both lines started, tighten up your bracket to snug.....tighten up your lines, then tighten the bracket. Make sure you screw the cap back onto the valve on the fuel rail where you relieved the fuel pressure, and you're done. I always turn the key onafterward to pressurize the system, and stick my head under to make sure there are no leaks from either side of the filter. Took longer to type this....have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365