Fuel injection service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joedert

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Dealer says I’m due for fuel injection service @ 30,000 mi. We never discussed price or what they do. Is this necessary? 5.3 engine.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Dealer says I’m due for fuel injection service @ 30,000 mi. We never discussed price or what they do. Is this necessary? 5.3 engine.
IMHO sounds more of a wallet flush service. I have 173K miles on my 5.3 Direct Injected Hoe and neither dealer in Miami or in NYC told me I needed that service.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use quality fuel and know what additives are in that fuel, you should be good. If I was to add a cleaner, it would be Chevron Techron additive.
I once had a check engine light come on in my 2004 Suburban, was about 55k miles on the clock at the time; I was 80 miles from home. Did business with a very trusted Chevy dealership in a small town here. Called my service manager, told him the light was on. He told me to get a quick OnStar remote diags, so I did. Came back as misfire on cyl 3. Called him back, he told me to go to the nearest GM dealership and buy GM Fuel System Cleaner...pour it in at the rato of 1 bottle to 12 gallons (had about a half tank, so I put in 2 bottles). Service manager said "if the light isn't off by the time you get home, call me and we will get it in." 40 miles down the road, light went off, never came on again.

Bottle looked a lot like the Chevron Techron bottle. Since then, I run a dose of Techron about every 20k miles, in all my cars. Have never had injector service since...I always run top tier fuel as well...Can particles get past the filter, sure, can you get bad gas somehwere and plug an injector, sure...Techron is cheap maintenance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beniskickbutt