fuel pump problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96skyjacked

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 96 tahoe 4 door LT. 5.7 automatic, I had the hoe in the shop getting my cd player fixed up and my buddy was looking at my door pin problem. They couldnt get her started to pull it out, and tried several times for about 45 minutes before I got there. It was running when I got there. I guess they put some kind of pressure reader on her and it was reading at 44 but should be around 66-68?? They suggested I need a new fuel pump and guesstimated it at 300 bucks parts and 100 labor.

After some research on my part, parts should be around 100 or less. Plus I found that there are 2 different setups. 1 fuel pump frame mounted, or 1 fuel pump tank mounted. How do I know which one I have?

And my truck has been acting normal since I picked her up, Ive always had a little trouble cranking her up but the hoe always starts for me. Is this something I should replace preventatively to avoid trouble on the road?ANy help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
Fuel pump is in tank. Its not that hard to replace if your you're almost on empty (due to weight) . Get your new pump from Napa its OEM. Does your pump whine with the key in the on position? If so its definitely your pump...they are notorious for going out on these trucks

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is how i did my fuel pump on my silverado lol
n605100412_6242912_2851598.jpg

but with all seriousness i know you cant do that on a tahoe just make sure you have very little gas in it and it shouldnt be hard at all

OP
OP

96skyjacked

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
no whining, it just hard to start sometimes. and then sometimes it will sputter while driving and i feel it through the gas pedal.

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
no whine? I didnt think my old pump whined until I put a new one and heard that. possibly a relay going bad then. but im willing to bet its the pump

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
change your fuel filter mite be clogged, cheap replacement mite as well try it out first!

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Go to the tech section. I did the write up. It's not difficult, but you'll need a weekend, a friend, and a lot of beer. I wouldn't replace it till it really dies, frankly. My $0.02.
:drunk:

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
yea when it finally dies and leaves you stranded on the side of the road... its only a matter of time

TheBeast99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, i'd get it done as soon as you have the money for it.
45 minutes is a lot of cranking and praying when you want to leave work after a long day ;-)
ya, i just had mine done a week ago. My OEM pump cost $127 and labor was a lil over $400.
My pump was whining when i got the truck in Nov '09, so who knows how long it was whining to begin with.

but ya, you got a 96, so it was bound to go eventually - heed the warning sign.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx