Fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got in my truck tonight to head home and when I started it, the idle was really low and engine died. Tried again and barely drove it half way home. I called my friend to tow me the rest of the way. When I tried to start it again, pressing gently on the accelerator to try to keep it running, it sputtered and died.
My fuel pump had been whining really loud when I got to under half tank for well over a year and I have been dreading the day when it finally went dead:rage:.Am I right in assuming I need a new fuel pump? Thanks for any help.

OP
OP
chauncey0337

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after reading a couple of other threads, I decided to replace the fuel pump assembly. Went with oem Delphi. Wasn't as bad as I had expected. It took about 3 hours with a floor jack and basic tools. Seems to run smooth now.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after reading a couple of other threads, I decided to replace the fuel pump assembly. Went with oem Delphi. Wasn't as bad as I had expected. It took about 3 hours with a floor jack and basic tools. Seems to run smooth now.

Wow, didn't waste any time, did ya!! lol Did you ever try smacking on the bottom of the gas tank and then starting it to get it to start up?? Good choice on pumps by the way!!

OP
OP
chauncey0337

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my only vehicle so I had no time to waste. I didn't even think about hitting the tank to see if it would get me home but luckily I had a friend with a tow strap only 5 mins away. I didn't want to do this again anytime soon so I payed for the oem- $300 plus tax. When I bought my new pump I wasn't sure if it was the correct one because it looked different so to anyone else replacing to new Delphi- the new assemblies are white instead of beige, only 2 tension rods instead of the stock 3, pump/sending unit is same size but actual pump motor seems to be half the size, and new unit has internal strainer unlike the stock external one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnk71