G80 not available with vehicles with optional StabiliTrak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
strutaeng

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just discovered the other night that it's the same case on my 2004 as well. I was out off-roading and couldn't get my "locker" to lock up so that night I was doing some research and after seeing how easy it was for other people to get theirs to engage in videos I started contemplating if I actually had one. I checked the build sheet and was super disappointed when I saw that note about Stabilitrak. Originally, I had only seen the "locking rear differential" part in the first column, so for years I've been thinking I actually had a G80 when I don't. After I saw that note I checked the RPO codes and sadly there's no G80 code...
I read somewhere that it was only like this for 2003 and 2004, then in 2005 you could get both Stabilitrak and the G80. Anyone know why you couldn't have both for a couple years? I'm wondering if it's possible to install one and still have everything work properly. Also, mine is AWD, not 4WD, which seems to be pretty uncommon for a base model and makes things a bit more complicated in the powertrain.
Also, what does the note mean by it also replaces traction assist? I definitely have traction control, I've seen the "traction active" message come up on the dash several times before.
Umm, not sure about the note that says "replaces traction assist"? What is that? Maybe what they used to call the system that Stabilitrac replaced?

But yeah, clear also states it replaces locking differential.

I'm thinking GM in those 2 years hadn't really figured out how to make the 2 systems work together? Once they figured it out, they brought back the locking differential?

If you put a locking differential on your truck, you could either get some unwanted brake applications through the EBCM or some sort of error message? I'm not entirely sure.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm, not sure about the note that says "replaces traction assist"? What is that? Maybe what they used to call the system that Stabilitrac replaced?

But yeah, clear also states it replaces locking differential.

I'm thinking GM in those 2 years hadn't really figured out how to make the 2 systems work together? Once they figured it out, they brought back the locking differential?

If you put a locking differential on your truck, you could either get some unwanted brake applications through the EBCM or some sort of error message? I'm not entirely sure.
Your guess is as good as mine on that one.
Yeah that's all I can come up with for those 2 years too. Maybe at the time they also thought Stabilitrak was good enough or maybe even better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usadrenaline