Gas Cap Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My (yellow E85) gas cap clicks when I assume it is tightened but I just noticed that even after that point of tightening there is some play (rocking) in the yellow part of the cap. Am I wrong to expect that it should feel snugged down and not be able to be wiggled?
I see that there is a significant O ring around the the top on the threaded snout on the cap assembly so perhaps it's sealed even though the ratchetting part wiggles after tightening. Or no?
It is the original cap from the fall of 2007, so coming up on 17 years old.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My (yellow E85) gas cap clicks when I assume it is tightened but I just noticed that even after that point of tightening there is some play (rocking) in the yellow part of the cap. Am I wrong to expect that it should feel snugged down and not be able to be wiggled?
I see that there is a significant O ring around the the top on the threaded snout on the cap assembly so perhaps it's sealed even though the ratchetting part wiggles after tightening. Or no?
It is the original cap from the fall of 2007, so coming up on 17 years old.
Get a new cap soon or you will get an evap code. Not a GM product, but that happened to one of my customers and had an evap code on her 4Runner and changed the cap and the code stayed away. It would click and then still rock back and forth.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 e85 cap seems super loose, it clicks with what seems like 1/4-1/2 turn.
First click right?

Feels like the weight of the cap is about as much pressure will be exerted on the seal...

no codes yet!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The number of clicks may be printed on the cap, and may vary by manufacturer.

But just because the ratchet mechanism has a little slop in the handle (after it's cinched down) it doesn't mean that it's not sealing. My cap has a bit of slop in it even though the seal is tight. If you're concerned about it, get a new cap and clean the filler tube where the o-ring meets it, and dab a bit of sil-glyde on the mating surfaces once in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustGibby