Gas leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
So I noticed a gasoline smell over the last week and about 3 days ago, my truck has had a hard time starting on a cold start and the gasoline smell has gotten worse. I looked under it and noticed fuel leaking down the side of the fuel tank. Could this be the fuel pump seal? Or maybe the pump itself? I'm hoping it isn't the tank. 07-14 is starting to be my least favorite generation. This truck has been nothing but trouble after it hit 170k miles.

OP
OP
03GMCYukonXL

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
So I noticed a gasoline smell over the last week and about 3 days ago, my truck has had a hard time starting on a cold start and the gasoline smell has gotten worse. I looked under it and noticed fuel leaking down the side of the fuel tank. Could this be the fuel pump seal? Or maybe the pump itself? I'm hoping it isn't the tank. 07-14 is starting to be my least favorite generation. This truck has been nothing but trouble after it hit 170k miles.

Attachments

• 20240707_161226.jpg
    20240707_161226.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 5

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
They all have their issues it’s not just the 07-14 I’ve had issues with my 93 my 99 and my 07-13s if anything I’d go back to a 93 for the simplicity of everything but that’s just me.

If it’s leaking down the side of the tank it sounds like the fuel pump seal has maybe cracked and allowing fuel to leak out as your driving or when the pump kicks on it may also be one of the fuel lines but I’d lean more towards the seal.
If it’s the original pump and you got to drop the tank anyways I’d personally go ahead and replace it my truck has already had one fuel pump put in it and she’s only at 175k on the dash I’d hate for you to do all the work to change a o ring out and 6 months from now the pump quit on ya that’s how my luck goes anyways but if your on a budget that’s understandable and the gasket/o-ring should be fairly cheap
For the time being try not to fuel it over a half tank and see if it still leaks out

Note you want the tank as empty as possible like less then 1/4 tank in it as it’ll make it much easier to handle when you go to drop it

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Also if you do decide to do a fuel pump get a oem one not a aftermarket my aftermarket pump messed up the fuel gauge and has caused me to have to rob the old fuel pump of its float and sensor to swap onto the new pump to get the gas gauge working again what a pain in the ass

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
See this relatively short thread. It's for earlier models but mostly applies.

OP
OP
03GMCYukonXL

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
So is there a difference in fuel pumps from the previous body? I keep finding pumps that say they fit 2005-2007. This makes no sense to me. I see it a lot though.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is there a difference in fuel pumps from the previous body? I keep finding pumps that say they fit 2005-2007. This makes no sense to me. I see it a lot though.
Buy Genuine GM only, from rock auto or other known good source. Amazon doesn't count - lots of counterfeit GM parts on there. Rock Auto will have the application right. I believe the '07 fuel system still has a return line to the tank, and later models are returnless. So that's probably why it's the same pump from '05-'07.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It would help to know what you're working on (make, model, engine). Consider putting it in your signature so it's always handy.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
He’s got an 07 & the 03 Yuke XL. Not sure what the 07 is but guessing it’s a Tahoe w/ a 5.3L.

If it goes by the stats and typical occurrences the fuel leak is prolly the seal at the top of the tank.

If you’re on a budget and doing your own wrenching it’s a cheap fix. If you can wait until the budget’s better there’s 2 f/p on R\A with the sender on the cheap. Both have lifetime guarantees and specific to a 07 Tahoe 5.3
A610AD0C-9DA9-4FFF-8DC6-30BAEF1438AF.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trex3