gear swap/ rear end upgrade ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ok so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to rebuild my rear end and gears and stuff and I know nothing about all that stuff, I wanna know a good year end upgrade or gear swap for an 05 5.3 Tahoe to make it faster, I rarely pull trailers and when I do it's only for maybe a four wheeler and/or a dirtbike. I just thought that I might as well upgrade so any ideas? Please explain and help me learn more about this kinda stuff, I've already done some research but I still want other people's word. Thank you

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your have a 4x4 you need the front and rear gears to match.

pretty sure if you change the gears you also would need the gear change set up in your pcm tune as well.

OP
OP
CookieMonster401
Reaction score
It's only a rear wheel drive. Just looking for something to give my truck a lil more get up

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that makes the swap a bit easier. still think you need the pcm tuned for the gear change, would likely shift at odd rpms unless it knows its true final gear ratio.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
that makes the swap a bit easier. still think you need the pcm tuned for the gear change, would likely shift at odd rpms unless it knows its true final gear ratio.
True, and also to keep the speedo correct. Depending on what ratio you go with, it'll read + or - of what you're actually doing.

OP
OP
CookieMonster401
Reaction score
True, and also to keep the speedo correct. Depending on what ratio you go with, it'll read + or - of what you're actually doing.
Good thinking, yea that makes since. Thank y'all. Do y'all have any recommendations for a gear swap if I'm looking to build a race truck?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had 4.10's in my 03 2500 hd 4.11's are the old school gear everyone used. but a 3.70 or higher would do better for over all mpg if you plan to drive it daily still.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on your tire and wheel size and if you do a lot of highway driving or care about MPG. And depending how much power you plan on making you should think about a 4L80e transmission swap and beef up the rear end with axles and a locker or posi unit.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
i had 4.10's in my 03 2500 hd 4.11's are the old school gear everyone used. but a 3.70 or higher would do better for over all mpg if you plan to drive it daily still.
My express van has 4.11's in it, has the 4.8 LS, and gas mileage sux, if that makes a difference to you. My 03 Hoe has 3.73's, which I think are fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanders speed

Latest posts