Genuine Tech2 quick question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy guys, Haven't been on here in forever and need to say this before my Tech2 question: I'm sorry for not finishing my rear end swap thread and linking the pics yet. I've broken two phone screens since it was completed and I had stopped (voluntarily) backing up my every move to the clouds a couple years ago so the pics are only in the phone(s) w/broken screens. There are new screens here though just need make it happen.....not that I thought anyone was sitting on edge of their couch in suspense or anything.....just been on my mind, needed to apologize.....that's all
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About 3hrs ago a Tech2 showed up for sale about 10min away from me. I asked a couple pertinent questions about it, one being is it genuine or Hongkong version? and dude sent me this back: "
I'm not the original owner
I actually have 2 of them
And 1 tech 1
It came from a local gm dealer
They got rid of the older stuff when the gm midi came out
So I believe it is GM
I use it sometimes on my 2004 trailblazer "

Is that a plausible scenario?? Did GM get rid of Tech2's when MIDI came out?

That's a copy and paste. He did say he was driving though so maybe i'm over-reading the line that answers my question.....

He's only got the handheld, the CANdi, and the ODBII adapter. One has 33.004, the other 33.002 software card but I don't know anything about VCI yet..

any thoughts before I call him in a few minutes?

edit: (please correct me if I'm not comprehending this correctly) A functional version of 33.004 in a working Tech2 should be able to do any and every thing a Tech2 can do to a 2011 gmt900, whether it's a clone or a genuine, correct? As long as it's not stolen and locked in some way?

No wis2000 or pass thru needed? just working Tech2 and 33.004 and it should do it all?

Last edited:
OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to add to his question, what are the giveaways that at Tech2 is a clone?

From what I've gathered over last couple years on web.... functionally nothing different, but physically the genuine has:

manufactured date stamped inside card slot lid

silver metal inside female candi connectors vs bronzish on clone

sturdier, easier connecting connectors

gray(er) area around the keypad buttons vs black(er) on clone

less complaints of issues with connection

BUT that is w/o hands on verification

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd on purchasing if the price is right. A lot of the cost of the clones has shipping cost tied into the price.

Sounds like the guy is unloading his hoard and ready to cash in. Cash (in hand) being the ultimate bargaining tool.

Was in a hometown hardware store in Steubenville, OH yesterday and they had a sign that said cash is king above the register :D

I'm still reeling a little from the $175 I sent to some doucher in Indiana for an Escalade gauge cluster in Dec '22.... Has me a little hesitant to buy one that has no paperwork, support, etc... I'll test it out as thoroughly as possible, but it will be my first time w/hands on one. Mainly just trying to avoid getting into something that has a bunch of hidden $$$$ to be able to use to it's full capability

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
33.004 was the latest and final software version

Thank you, I read that in more than one place. Would've been just fine if I had stuck to this forum and kept digging for info. For whatev reason I typed it into a www search and proceeded to read post after post contradicting each other and claiming you had to buy a subscription etc....smh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malachismith