GM 6L80 Transmission Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6l80 here (2010 Tahoe LTZ). Have heard from a lot of folks (including a few on here) that 30-35k is the severe schedule that we should be sticking to on these transmissions.

For me, that's about once a year, lol. Is it your opinion that it could probably go another 20k each cycle and be fine?
The figures in the post you quoted was for daily drivers, crusiers and mild performance applications. HD/Serious work, severe off-road, HP/SS, full race and other non stock applications will require more frequent fluid changes, common sense right?

If your usage pattern fits the above, every 30-50k somewhere in there is recommended. More severe the duty, more frequent the fluid service.

Sgt1411

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2007 Escalade has the 6L80E transmission. (6-SPEED AUTOMATIC, HEAVY-DUTY, 6L80E, ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED) The transmission was apparently rebuilt a few years back and has absolutely no fluid leaks anywhere. Checking fluid shows it is red and full no signs of discoloration. The vehicle has around 168,000 miles on it but only one owner before me and I knew him so I know the history. The vehicles runs very well but I had a question about drivability characteristics and perhaps its just me not understanding those dynamics with this older transmission.

If your driving along at 30-40MPH and your slowing for a red light so you let off the throttle. The light goes green before you come to a full stop so now you apply throttle and there is a second or two delay and then a bit of a clunk like the transmission was in the wrong gear and had to drop down a gear. Is that a normal behavior or indication of something?

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2007 Escalade has the 6L80E transmission. (6-SPEED AUTOMATIC, HEAVY-DUTY, 6L80E, ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED) The transmission was apparently rebuilt a few years back and has absolutely no fluid leaks anywhere. Checking fluid shows it is red and full no signs of discoloration. The vehicle has around 168,000 miles on it but only one owner before me and I knew him so I know the history. The vehicles runs very well but I had a question about drivability characteristics and perhaps its just me not understanding those dynamics with this older transmission.

If your driving along at 30-40MPH and your slowing for a red light so you let off the throttle. The light goes green before you come to a full stop so now you apply throttle and there is a second or two delay and then a bit of a clunk like the transmission was in the wrong gear and had to drop down a gear. Is that a normal behavior or indication of something?
Is this issue new or has it always behaved this way? If the latter, for how long?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiddleNel2son

Latest posts